Potential Explosion Hazards due to Evaporating Ethanol In Whisky Distilleries

will

This is a study of the incidence and probability of explosion and fire during production and storage of whisky performed by the Health and Safety Laboratory (UK).

When local officials are having trouble interpreting IBC/IFC sections, things like this might help them to set their fears aside.

Good luck,

Will

• Thumbs up 1

• 4 months later...

Yes, nice connect. Thank you Will.

I wonder if you were to utilize this document, be prepared for confused conversation regarding British Proof/volume ratio. Whether involved or not. Was the old Sikes scale used here? 7/4 instead of 8/4 ? Just saying, be prepared for the one person who may have a little knowledge when using British written papers. Or am I the dangerous one with little knowledge? BTW: I believe they are now on the % scale as the EU is. Cheers

• 1 month later...

SUPER SICK. I love you will! I'm going to use this with the fire department.

Here is the interpretation letter from one of our very own agencies (OSHA) on their read on regulating distilleries...FYI for you civilians out there "PSM" translates to "Process Safety Management"....so just don't kill anyone or store more than 10,000lbs in certain types of containers....and "SIC" = Standard Industrial Classification...

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=24501&p_table=INTERPRETATIONS

Read the whole letter but in part:

In summary, OSHA's current enforcement policy generally limits citations under the PSM standard in all industries to situations where more than 10,000 pounds of flammable liquid are present outside of the amount in storage, consistent with the MEER decision. A further limitation applies within the distilled spirits industry, where PSM citations will be issued only in the event of a fatality or catastrophe involving a process that uses ethyl alcohol in a distillery or its related facilities in SIC 2085. We hope this information is of assistance in responding to your inquiry. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Office of General Industry Enforcement at (202) 693-1850.