Business plans and break-even point

Is there an example of anyone actually getting filthy stinking rich while distilling during their lifetime?

When my father went to learn how to distill at the hands of a master distiller in france... he was told this little adage..

"The grandfather starts the distillery, the father runs it, and the grandchild profits from it."

lets just hope my kids take care of me, since im the middle one. heh!

Guest sensei
When my father went to learn how to distill at the hands of a master distiller in france... he was told this little adage..

"The grandfather starts the distillery, the father runs it, and the grandchild profits from it."

lets just hope my kids take care of me, since im the middle one. heh!

I really think this will prove true as I asked a while back about anyone getting fabulously wealthy while alive and in charge of the business and I think the SKYY/Grey Goose guy is the only one.

Not rumor...Patron was started by John Paul DeJoria (of Paul Mitchell)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patr%C3%B3n

In fact, his is a story worthy of inspiration...from being homeless to wealth rivaling Trump's. Then add to it all the humanitarian work he's done.

http://www.islandconnections.com/edit/dejoria.htm

I wanna be him when I grow up!

Cheers,

Paul

If he's your idol, sell your still. He doesn't own one. Patron is an importer and marketing company, not a distiller. It's hard to get the full picture, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about this. He has made a boatload of money. I can get behind that.

If he's your idol, sell your still. He doesn't own one. Patron is an importer and marketing company, not a distiller. It's hard to get the full picture, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about this. He has made a boatload of money. I can get behind that.

FYI: Sydney Frank (of Grey Goose fame) was also not a distiller. He started his operation importing and promoting Jaegermeister (ala the now famous Jaegerettes). Then once he recognized an opportunity to show up Smirnoff, he opened a plant in Cognac, France to make Grey Goose, drew the label himself and then spent his anticipated first year profits on marketing ($3 million).

See: How I Did it: Sidney Frank

There is definitely money to be made in this business, though in addition to making really fine distilled product it will also take savvy marketing as well. Fortunately the cost of marketing has dropped with the internet, though competition continues to be fierce as ever because there are more people distilling than ever before.

Then there's the question of whether of what price you'll be willing to sell your company or brand(s) lock stock & barrel to someone else to produce instead of you. B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Is there an example of anyone actually getting filthy stinking rich while distilling during their lifetime?

the big guys had prohibition that slowed them considerably.

Yes, many new brands out there, but saturated? I say not even close. Lots of weirdo imported brands fill the shelf because they are most readily available today, and many will eventually relinquish their shelf position to a more local (as in American) alternative. Cost is the primary reason. And the brand image is also important.

Back to the OP, as for a starter list of equipment, have you contacted a manufacturer like Bavarian Holstein or Christan Carl Bros and asked for a turnkey quote? They will supply you with a list and price as a starting point for designing your final operation. It's an effective way to begin the process...the rest is up to you.