Possibility of oversaturation of rum/vodka distillers?

Guest sensei

The only regulations regarding the making of Tennessee Whiskey are that it must meet the legal definition of whiskey (a pretty low threshold) and it must be made in Tennessee, based on a general rule that the use of place-of-origin names must be truthful. By tradition, and since there are only two producers, Tennessee Whiskey is identical to straight bourbon except for the additional processing through charcoal. That is, as I say, by tradition, not by law. However, I think it would be foolish for a producer to make a product called "Tennessee Whiskey" that was not made according to those specifications, even if doing so would be legal.

The use of "tequila" or, for that matter, "scotch" is a function of various agreements and treaties between the United States and other entities, including the European Union. These agreements are reciprocal. The United States agrees to not permit any product to be sold as tequila unless it meets the standards recognized by the Mexican government. They reciprocate by not allowing to be sold in their country any products called "bourbon" or "Tennessee Whiskey" unless those products can be legally sold by those names in the United States. Those agreements are really just about the names. They don't get into the production standards because they don't have to. If it's tequila there, then it's tequila here, etc.

Guest sensei
The only regulations regarding the making of Tennessee Whiskey are that it must meet the legal definition of whiskey (a pretty low threshold) and it must be made in Tennessee, based on a general rule that the use of place-of-origin names must be truthful. By tradition, and since there are only two producers, Tennessee Whiskey is identical to straight bourbon except for the additional processing through charcoal. That is, as I say, by tradition, not by law. However, I think it would be foolish for a producer to make a product called "Tennessee Whiskey" that was not made according to those specifications, even if doing so would be legal.

My bad. It was my understanding that for a whiskey in Tennessee to be legally called "Tennessee Whiskey", it had to be made with the Lincoln County Process. Its just my personal opinion, but I disagree about it being foolish to be slightly different. Jack and George dominate the "Tennessee Whiskey" market and I would imagine that going up against them on their terms would be akin to opening up another vodka distillery. Why be a "Me Too" player in a very established field when you can branch out nd offer something never before tasted?

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.