direct sales and shipping to consumers

Anyone shipping to consumers directly?

UPS told me no, only wine, even though there are many online stores shipping spirits via UPS around the country.

Fedex spent a week setting my account up to ship liquor, only to send me a contract saying no shipping to consumers, only wine. Even though there are online stores shipping spirits via Fedex around the country.

Have you had success with this? What was your experience?

On a related note, there are no online retailers in my state, so I can't simply have them do it for me. But if you know of a friendly online store that will allow me to sell directly to them from out of state, or will handle the three tier purchasing themselves, please share.

We've shipped spirits a bunch of times via FedEx, but never in a direct sale to consumers. Bulk has been to competitions or reviewers, clearly marked on the outside not for resale, liquid, fragile, glass etc. 100% have been within the lower 48 though. Are you talking about consumers on the island or off the island?

-Scott

Drink Up New York (drinkupny.com) has always (in my opinion) been a good online store that is always interested in carrying a new quality product.

UPS in the northeast US can be problematical- rumor has it one of the top executives who set the no alcohol to consumers policy was a 12 stepper who decided that if he can't have it nobody can.

Drink Up New York (drinkupny.com) has always (in my opinion) been a good online store that is always interested in carrying a new quality product.

UPS in the northeast US can be problematical- rumor has it one of the top executives who set the no alcohol to consumers policy was a 12 stepper who decided that if he can't have it nobody can.

What I found out was that UPS and FedEx policy says no alcohol buttttttttttt what they really mean is they have a don't ask don't tell type of policy. All our UPS shippers here do not want to know what is in the package, they have told me this in person, do not tell me whats inside. So we remove all out side identifying labels, package real good to prevent breakage, mark it real good "Fragile" "Glass" and double tape box closed. All the liquor that is shipped in the USA goes through both companies.There is no other way. Not against any laws to ship through them. DO NOT TRY TO SHIP THROUGH REGULAR MAIL. That is against the law. Coop P.S. You must ship with the requirement "Adult Signature Required" to keep it out of the hands of minors

Do a google search for 'mail order liquor' and you'll find pages of spots shipping direct to consumers. I picked UncorkitChicago.com and ran through an order for 12 Bridges Gin to my own personal address, popped up as FedEx Domestic Rate, no questions. Same for 2 other sites.

Point is, it's being done by many others so I would go with the don't label the box attitude. But you could always call a couple of the retail shippers and act like a person wanting to order, asking how they make sure your kids don't get the package. Snake some info from them.

Since this is the 2nd thread on shipping problems with FedEx and UPS while others are selling this way I would say the ADI head(s) need to get some research into the problem. Bring it up at the conference since it's a revenue channel.

Yeah, I figured a don't ask/don't tell may have to suffice.

Scott, I'm currently not allowed to sell direct to consumers in Hawaii, and probably wouldn't ship to them if I was. I'd rather they buy at a store since even the most remote location is relatively close.

Coop, why would an "Adult Signature Required" be necessary if the shipment is covert? I can't imagine a minor bothering to order a comparatively pricey liquor online. It's an extra $4 for that.

Maybe an "I certify that I am age 21 or over" on the order page would be sufficient. This beautiful policy is what popswine.com in N.Y. has on their site:

We have the legal authority under New York State Regulations to ship wines out of the state. As it is impossible for us to research the regulations in all 50 states, it is up to the purchaser to determine that he or she is not in violation of their own state's regulations regarding the importation of wines. We ship all our wines in unmarked boxes for security purposes. Title to all wine purchases passes to the purchaser at our premises in Island Park, New York.

By placing an order, you certify to us that you and/or the recipient

are over 21 years of age.

and you have to click "I am 21..." before the order is placed. They ship liquor the same as wine. They've been around a long time.

I am aware that TTB requires DSPs to follow each state's laws regarding shipping liquor to consumers, under threat of license revocation. I wonder if that's ever happened?

Yeah, I figured a don't ask/don't tell may have to suffice.

Scott, I'm currently not allowed to sell direct to consumers in Hawaii, and probably wouldn't ship to them if I was. I'd rather they buy at a store since even the most remote location is relatively close.

Coop, why would an "Adult Signature Required" be necessary if the shipment is covert? I can't imagine a minor bothering to order a comparatively pricey liquor online. It's an extra $4 for that.

Maybe an "I certify that I am age 21 or over" on the order page would be sufficient. This beautiful policy is what popswine.com in N.Y. has on their site:

We have the legal authority under New York State Regulations to ship wines out of the state. As it is impossible for us to research the regulations in all 50 states, it is up to the purchaser to determine that he or she is not in violation of their own state's regulations regarding the importation of wines. We ship all our wines in unmarked boxes for security purposes. Title to all wine purchases passes to the purchaser at our premises in Island Park, New York.

By placing an order, you certify to us that you and/or the recipient

are over 21 years of age.

and you have to click "I am 21..." before the order is placed. They ship liquor the same as wine. They've been around a long time.

I am aware that TTB requires DSPs to follow each state's laws regarding shipping liquor to consumers, under threat of license revocation. I wonder if that's ever happened?

You need to really protect you and your license, both state and federal. I can promise you that each and ever day tons of minors are trying to purchase liquor on line. The lie about there age, have fake ID's, everything you can think of. Bottom line is if you sell to a minor you will pay dearly. Even if a person 21 or over orders it and are not home upon delivery and the neighbor kid gets it. You are in trouble. Some one some where will sue you. The $4 bucks is not paid by you, the customer pays for all shipping cost. The shipment is not covert at all. Any one can require a adult signature on anything they ship.

• 1 month later...

I know that about eight years ago one of the tenants at our multi-building apt complex received a case of Jack for the the company. The delivery man just left it at the residents door. Would have set me up for at least six months if I had decided to appropriate it for myself. Turns out I might be an outstanding young man. Wouldn't want to explain that situation to 12 people I don't know, if there wasn't an outstanding young person in the area.