charcoal filtering

Raj404

Meadwest Vaco, Darco, and Calgon are usually carried by many supply companies. They have spec sheets and information on their websites. Ask for samples of carbon used in spirit applications and do many, many trials. All carbons are not created equal! Some are great for mouthfeel, others are better for stripping off-notes or color. Good luck, hopefully you will find one you are looking for.

That is a very cute video, Curtis. But not too practical for making barrels of it at a time.

For further amusement, here is an animated video I made some time back, which features Cennino Cennini explaining how to make charcoal.

http://www.jeddhaas.com/art/making-charcoal-for-drawing-with-monologue-by-cennino-cennini/

I have followed this method with great success and make all my drawing charcoal this way.

Hello all I am new to this site. Does anyone know of any company that makes a simple charcoal filter for mellowing out whiskey or is this usually a custom fabricated item? Any information would be greatly appreciated

I see you asked about a filter. I build them in a couple sizes. see my site Trident Welding

That is a very cute video, Curtis. But not too practical for making barrels of it at a time.

For further amusement, here is an animated video I made some time back, which features Cennino Cennini explaining how to make charcoal.

http://www.jeddhaas.com/art/making-charcoal-for-drawing-with-monologue-by-cennino-cennini/

I have followed this method with great success and make all my drawing charcoal this way.

Jack Daniels makes their own charcoal from sugar maple trees. They cut it into 1.5" "stickers" and stack it in 4" tall cabin patterns which they burn. A bunch of older gentlemen stand around with garden hoses misting it to keep the oxygen low and charcoal quality high. I guess it takes years to become a pro based on the age of the guys I saw on the video. But if given an abundant source of good wood for charcoal its certainly possible to make comercial quantities. Certainly adds to the craft element.

It's certainly possible to make large quantities. But not with the method shown in Curtis' video. You have to scale it up.

Something like this: Charcoal Kiln

or this:

are more applicable for commercial quantities.

Also, the JD video:

OK we get it your video was better. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all I am new to this site. Does anyone know of any company that makes a simple charcoal filter for mellowing out whiskey or is this usually a custom fabricated item? Any information would be greatly appreciated

I can help on the mechanics, and apparatus. I Need to know some more info:

• What volumes of spirit are you planning to filter per week?
  • Do you want to use traditional biscuit charcoal, your own cooking, commercial charcoal pellets or filter carbon (usually coconut charcoal rather than wood)
  • Consider this, charcoal filtering is just that, filtering, and along with the fusel oils being removed, so will some colour, flavour and character. So, how hard do you want to punish the spirit LOL.