Other uses of used juniper berries...

bluestar

Curious if anyone has found a use for the juniper berries AFTER they have been used for making gin. Mostly thinking about the berries that have been crushed and macerated by steeping, and are left behind after draining the extract.

Also, I am testing my ability to post and be seen again in the Gin forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Curious Denver, I would have thought that the juniper berries would be too pungent even for goats. I guess it would depend on how the juniper berries were added to the gin (using a separate vapor basket like Hendricks, or added directly to the distillate).

Well, as I said, not all of the goats will eat it. And often, the farmer simply mixes it with other things. Same goes for our Rye stillage, actually. His cows won't touch it. But if he mixes it with even a little of our Bourbon or Vodka stillage, they can't get enough of it.

The goats will eat the absinthe stillage, which really astonishes me. That stuff is really something.

• 2 months later...

Both our gin and absinthe botanicals (post-distillation) are in high demand by local gardeners to compost. The resulting compost is apparently amazing stuff.

The juniper berries are usually so stripped that they don't really have much distinct scent or flavor.

• 4 months later...

We've been sharing our spent juniper with a local natural coatings company. They said the juniper has been providing a nice color addition to some wood stains, helping with UV protection, etc.

They've also been taking our heads to run tests on.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen spent grain being sold, mostly for animal feed. With botanicals composting seems to be a popular option but I think most of it is given/bartered away rather than being sold. I suppose if you have a limited quantities of spent botanicals it may not be worth try to sell it - hence the popularity for give-away or barter. Not a bad way tog et some local goodwill.

• 2 weeks later...