Load cells

Copperstill

Load cells vary a huge amount in their accuracy.

The ones in my platform scale are accurate to 50g or 100g depending on the weight on the platform.

I suspect your question is really about the load bars you sit a pallet or tank on, with a cord that goes to a readout.

Over the years I have had 2 sets of those that are often used for weighing livestock. Neither set was particularly accurate although quite expensive.

I still use my latest set for weighing out my grain where I don't need to be quite as accurate. They are now about 9 years old so there may very well be better ones around now.

Check out the accuracy and if you are happy you may be able to purchace several sets of load bars and leave under different tanks, then all you need is one readout that can be swapped around.

Check that the readout can be swapped around and still give you the same weight when you go back to a bar with a load on it. My old set was good for that but not my current one.

I'm interested in them for grain weights, and pre-distillate tanks so I'm not worried if they are off by a lb or so although it would be nice if they weren't :)

Is anyone using load cells under tanks, stills, for grain? Love to know how they are working for you.

I use a "tank kit", 4 load cells and a readout, with a 2000 Liter Tank. I'm happy with the accuracy now, I do have a calibration weight. The tough part was the initial setup. You need ~60% of the total measured weight to setup the scale. I accomplished this with water, and having the tank on another calibrated scale. I zeroed the scale out with the tank on it, then added a bunch of water. In the end it did measure my calibration weight correctly, so good enough for what I needed.

Load cells these day weight nearly 100% of everything bought and sold. I believe at this time we only have one mechanical scale in our mill and none in the distillery. You should under normal operating conditions get very accurate weights from a load cell scale.

We have two load cells in the legs of all of our tanks, and the base of the stills. Its absolutely invaluable. Load Cells have come a long way with regard to reliability, accuracy and repeatability. We have two display units, which we move around, saves having the expensive display on every tank. There are many good PC solutions, that allow multiple cells and manage the calibration data.

Load cells are very sensitive to temperature, so be sure to get temperature compensated versions.