Suggestions for inexpensive in-line flow meter?

mrbones

Good morning,

I am looking for a reasonably priced in-line flow meter that will meet the US Code of Federal Regulations (26 USC 5204, Section 19.188 Measuring devices and proofing instruments).

A direct quote:

"© Meters. A proprietor may use an accurate mass flow meter to measure the volume of bulk spirits. A mass flow meter used for tax determination of bulk spirits must be certified by the manufacturer or other qualified person as accurate within a tolerance of plus or minus 0.1 percent."

We use sanitary (1.5 inch) connections, and our pumps average anywhere from 2 to 20 gallons per minute, depending on what/where we're pumping. We're making vodka, so we don't need to meter anything with high viscosity...it's either water or GNS!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Cinco Vodka

You'll need to define your idea of "reasonably priced." I've looked into flow meters and they seem to start around $3,000 and go up from there. Not sure what the accuracy level was, but I suspect 0.1% accuracy will be more.

Have you considered load cells as an alternative?

You're right, I should have defined "reasonably priced," especially since everything in this business costs more than you think it should!

We were quoted a load cell system for about $11,000 installed. For an accurate (TTB flow meter, I would think anything in the $3000 to $6000 range would be acceptable.

And thanks for the links....i'll check them out now.

JS