GLOWS Competition 2007 Results

Here's an article snippet from the Chicago Tribune.

The Great Lakes Olde World Syder Competition is unique in several ways. It's organized by homebrewers and craft brewing advocates. It has both non-commercial and commercial divisions. It focuses exclusively on the products of apples and pears - or cider and perry.

For distillers, it welcomes 'intensified' ciders, like pommeau (an apple dessert wine that could be made as a liqueur, rather than a fortified wine), eau de vie, and wood aged apple and pear brandies. I think that may make it the only competition with a specific place for (and appreciation of) eau de vie.

If you check the Tribune link, you'll see that a pommeau won a gold. Last year, I think a pear eau de vie took a gold.

--------------------

Oregon vineyard takes top honors at cider competition

--------------------

By Robin Mather Jenkins

Tribune staff reporter

December 19 2007

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- An Oregon vineyard and orchard took highest honors in the third annual Great Lakes Olde World Syder competition, held here recently. Tulip Valley earned best-of-show and a gold medal in the commercial common cider class with its Burro Loco cider.

The complete article can be viewed at:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/foo...0,4190895.story

Visit chicagotribune.com at http://www.chicagotribune.com

The Great Lakes Olde World Syder Competition is unique in several ways. It's organized by homebrewers and craft brewing advocates. It has both non-commercial and commercial divisions. It focuses exclusively on the products of apples and pears - or cider and perry.

For distillers, it welcomes 'intensified' ciders, like pommeau (an apple dessert wine that could be made as a liqueur, rather than a fortified wine), eau de vie, and wood aged apple and pear brandies. I think that may make it the only competition with a specific place for (and appreciation of) eau de vie.

If you check the Tribune link, you'll see that a pommeau won a gold. Last year, I think a pear eau de vie took a gold.

--------------------

--------------------

By Robin Mather Jenkins

Tribune staff reporter

December 19 2007

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- An Oregon vineyard and orchard took highest honors in the third annual Great Lakes Olde World Syder competition, held here recently. Tulip Valley earned best-of-show and a gold medal in the commercial common cider class with its Burro Loco cider.

Charles, you're too modest so I'll add this in; "Aeppeltreow Winery in Burlington, Wis., earned a gold for its Barnswallow common cider and another for its perry, or pear, cider".

Congratulations!

• 8 months later...

Does anyone have any idea if this will be held again in 2008? I Googled and can't find anything, but it should be coming up...

--------------------

--------------------

By Robin Mather Jenkins

Tribune staff reporter

December 19 2007

Does anyone have any idea if this will be held again in 2008? I Googled and can't find anything, but it should be coming up...

Yes. A new organization was formed to take up the task - The Great Lakes Cider and Perry Association, of which I'm a founding director. We're aiming for the first week in Dec. and I'll post a call for entries here.

Yes. A new organization was formed to take up the task - The Great Lakes Cider and Perry Association, of which I'm a founding director. We're aiming for the first week in Dec. and I'll post a call for entries here.

Hello Charles,

Are you going to be judging distilled products as well Cyder and Perry?

Ken

Yes. We start with the BJCP guidelines for fruit beers, apple and pear meads, standard cider and specialty cider, and have added our our categories for macrocider (since the big brands are usually specialty ciders, but don't know it), intensified cider (fortified like pommeau or concentrated like ice cider) and apple or pear spirits - white or amber.

The only caveat is the a spirit will need to be really remarkable to get into the best of show round. We're being conservative with them while we learn how to work them into the competition.