Grease Trap?

Jedd Haas

Have any of you been required to put in a grease trap? We're hearing a lot of conflicting information on this topic. Of course there is no grease in distilling, but facts never seem to stop inspectors when it comes to adding additional requirements.

We're working on finding out the specific local laws or regulations that may be applicable here, but in the meantime, I'd like to hear from y'all as to whether this came up for you; if you have one installed; or if you were able to successfully eliminate it as a requirement.

We installed a floor drain that taps into the sewer line without consulting the sanitation district (kinda sliped up on that one). When I finally did reach out to them, they were initially insistant on a grease trap, but I begged/pleaded/reasoned with them enough that they finally agreed that there was indeed no grease in my process to trap. What they did require though was some means of haulting any floor drain discharge into the sewer system so that a sample could be collected from the full floor drain. They would have prefered that I install some sort of hardware specific to that need, but agreed to let me slide as long as I had on hand a large rubber stopper that I could plug up the floor drain with to allow them to collect a sample at any time (they've never come in to collect). I also attempted to ease their concerns by bringing them 2 samples - of the material that I'd be running off (one from the wash run and one from the spirit run).

Good luck.

having formerly worked in a Mechanical engineering office, I can tell you that it is code for all floor and sink drains where "food" is prepared.

we all know that there is no oil or grease in a grain mash, so it seems silly, but it is code and who knows what it will be used for once you've moved off to a larger building.

It depends on your local authority. Grease traps are required anywhere that there are food stuffs that can have any significant amount of fat or oil in them. But it is not required everywhere just because there is food stuffs. General kitchens, like in restaurants, are seldom exempted, because they don't have a well enough defined process to ensure that they won't have grease, and generally they do (like cooking oil or dairy). But some authorities won't make the distinction for any food preparer or manufacturer. Ultimately, it depends on the language of the code (ours says where there is grease or fats) and the interpretation of your inspector.

• 2 months later...

How reasonable is cartage on waste products? Anyone do this? I have a feeling the City of Santa Rosa, and particularly the Sonoma County Water Agency, would pitch a fit at direct discharge of waste, particularly waste with lipids and a typically acid pH. Just wondering if any of you small distillers (100 gallon, or so, boilers) pays to have your liquids and solids taken off site for remediation? If so, is it a monthly deal? Cost? Seems such an attractive option and can certainly forestall dustups with local environomental regulators. Thanks!