Fire Suppression Costs

MaggiesFarm

Could someone give me a ballpark figure for the installation of a sprinkler system? Does it usually go by square footage? Any other pertinent details, like how from an external water line?

I know it's pretty hit or miss on the need for a fire suppression system, depending on location. In the "big city," I'm 90% certain I'll be required to have one, but just outside in another borough, I probably won't. These are based on examples of the two existing distilleries in the area. I've narrowed my search down to a property in each place. I never got a hard number, but I was basically told that if a property doesn't have sprinklers installed and they're needed, don't bother. Keep looking. I'd like to know how viable this advice is. I still think it might be worthwhile given the other advantages of this property.

Thanks.

The quotes above are inline with what I was finding when researching the subject. I'm far from an expert on the matter and I don't know that the circustances that apply to my facility would translate to yours, but just the same... you might be able to skirt the fire supression stuff if you are able to run your production within smaller maximum allowable quantities (MAQ) of spirit.

The fire inspector I was contending with was pushing for fire supression inititially — which would allow me to maintain 60 gallons of spirit in open containers or 240 gallons of spirit in atmospherically closed containers at any one time (pretty much the quantities that everyone is held to, from what I understand). I skipped the whole sprinker thing to avoid the costs duing start up and as a result my MAQ is half that - i can store no more than 30 gallons open and 120 closed. Fortuantly, my fire inspector agreed that spirt stored in oak casks or glass bottles is not included in that MAQ, so I'm able to work with those quantities for now.

In short... maybe you can skip fire supression if your overal production strategy allows it - and your AHJ agrees. If you'd like, I'd be happy to share with you a documennt that I prepared to help local fire/building athorities understand how I was going to work within the code and not exceed the MAQ. Shoot me an email if you'd like more info from my dealings on the matter.

We did an estimate for a 2000 sf industrial condo with fire main nearby. It ran about $18K.

Fortuantly, my fire inspector agreed that spirt stored in oak casks or glass bottles is not included in that MAQ, so I'm able to work with those quantities for now.

The IBC and NFPA allow the oak casks storage not to be included in the count, but the bottles are a more complicated matter. In the bonded area, they would count, because it is industrial. If you move them into general premises, and that section of the general premises is part of your retail, they do not count, because of an exception for bottles in merchandising space. There is no exception for bottles in industrial or warehousing space. All this is assuming you are in the limits for business or light industrial.

But of course, in the end, it is whatever your local fire code authority decides.

If you get by without having to install sprinklers, make sure your insurance company is very aware that they are not there to turn on incase you need them. This isn't usually a showstopper for your premium, however it will be higher than if you had sprinklers installed. Notifying them adequatly will eliminate that variable for a denial-of-claim if you ever need to use your insurace for it's intended purpose...

It will depend on a lot of things, if you have good water pressure and the size of the water main going to your building In new York city its 350$ a sprinkler head for a new system and less if you are just moving the heads around. and in general you need one head every 12 feet, and one in every room and could be more if they want some sort of fire curtain or a path of egress that will need a different configuration.

If your water service is not large enough up grading to a larger service can be from 6k to 25k depending on a lot of things, # of heads water pressure , the need for a back flow prevention and is the system going to be monitored by a fire alarm which is something different all together.

• 1 year later...

In short... maybe you can skip fire supression if your overal production strategy allows it - and your AHJ agrees. If you'd like, I'd be happy to share with you a documennt that I prepared to help local fire/building athorities understand how I was going to work within the code and not exceed the MAQ. Shoot me an email if you'd like more info from my dealings on the matter.

Lenny,

I just sent you an email. If it's still available, I'd like to see the document you reference above. Thanks in advance.

Jeffery