Hi I'm new

Welcome Jamie, I'm not sure if we've previously met I'm Guy from Great Lakes Distillery in Milwaukee. Have enjoyed your products on my many visits to your area. Be sure to check into WI regs carefully- if you are selling spirits other than those you produce yourself at Moosejaw the state may not want to give you a distillers permit. Message me if you want more info. If you get to Milwaukee, stop in and say hi!

Guy

Agreed, you'll be venturing into the 'liquor' fifth of Chapter 125. Not straight-forward as an add-on - Guy points out the entanglement of other spirits, but it extends to wine and liqueurs, too. To keep a well stocked bar, you might have to make it all.

Charles

AeppelTreow Winery & Distillery

Burlington

(Yes the fifth pun in intentional, but Chapter 125 is roughly equal parts definitions, retail, beer, liquor (including wine) and 'relations with industry members'.)

Thanks for the heads up guys; I appreciate it. I read 125 weekly (I know my life now sounds so exciting). I did find a loop hole in the state statue because of the law change last year. Obviously the distillery would not be at Moosejaw because that would violate TTB regulations; they are quite clear on that. We have been kicking the idea around here for a few years but now that the state law change has opened up a small window, I am looking in to the viability of making the most out of this opportunity.

Again thanks for saying Hi this seems like a very nice group

Cheers

Jamie Baertsch

Brewmaster

Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co

How would it violate 27 CFR? Or isn't there room for clear segregation? Mind you, that segregation is in the eye of the reviewer. At AeppelTreow, we have small areas, non-contiguous, that are permanently DSP. Marked only by paint on the floor. And a bigger portion that alternates premises with the technically adjacent BW. It required some special wording in the bond to cover spirits travelling through the Bonded Winery.

I haven't been to Moosejaw, I'm afraid. Only get to the Dells once a year :-)

I’m referencing 27 CFR 19 subsection C part b. I will look in to segregation. I’m all for creative bond writing but I also like not operating in the gray area; I’ve seen where something is fine with one agent one year but then a year later and a different agent makes it a different interpretation, that can cost time and money. Plus a separate location would allow the restaurant to continue operations as always and not be handcuffed by the restrictions that come along with a distillers permit (wine, beer, and liquor service).

Cheers

Jamie Baertsch

Brewmaster

Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.

Paragraph #? I get lost in the section/subsection. But the number helps.

And you'll have to watch WI law closely. The Manufacturer/rectifier might have to be a whole separate company. Site doesn't matter so much as ownership, in WI, I'm afraid. Roger Johnson at the DOR is the primary resource on that. And he's good, as long as you ask direct questions.

Sorry about that paragraph 19.52 and actually part c and d apply to me. Thanks Charles you have some great in site to Wisconsin liquor law; yeah the statues are very complicated in this area but like I said I believe I found the loop hole with the new law change.

I know Roger, we have spoken often, and he is a great resource and a very nice guy.

Jamie Baertsch

Brewmaster

Oh yes, we're after the Great ReNumbering. Had to go fetch a new copy of Chapter 19.

Don't get too wrapped up in that. You can have 'adjacent' premises. You may need separate areas for storage - protecting the revenue.

Hop down to Wollershiem and talk to Phillipe. Take a look at how he's got the DSP 'separated' from the BW and tasting room. My DSP production area is a 4x8 foot square. Just big enough to hold the still and some spirits in progress. The rest of the production room (30x20, or so) is BW, but can alternate premises with the DSP when I need the space to set up the bottling line.

A number of places in MI are set up the same way.

Well, “adjacent premises” is interesting; I will have to research that. Wollershiem is right down the street so I will stop in and chat with Phillipe.

Thank you for the lead Charles.

Jamie Baertsch

Brewmaster