Direct Fired Stills

sean@wolfbros

Is anyone using direct-fired stills?

My local Fire Marshall seems uninterested in returning my calls or emails. How have folks enclosed their flame source? What type of exhaust system, if any, is being used? I am loathe to get deep into building plans only to have a local official freak out over the threat of explosion.

I'm looking into using direct fire, too.

I'd say that it might be worthwhile consulting somebody who installs boilers or furnaces (check with local HVAC contractors) for any input on code compliance as well as proper venting of flue gases. In addition to fire concerns, atmospheric concerns are also an issue (carbon monoxide in particular).

Also, with the consideration that ethanol vapors are heavier than air, their escape is a potential hazard with direct fire. If you haven't already considered it, aim for overkill on your condensing system.

All the traditional brandy producers in California use direct fire. The pots are typically enclosed insulation and brick exterior (for looks) with a boiler door for access. The burners have flame control and safety pilot sensors. Basically all the stills in Cognac, Armagnac, and Calvados are direct fired (for good reason if you plan on making brown spirits) so I don’t see a problem. If you ever have vapor coming out of your condenser (except for the initial portion of the heads before liquid can condense) your still was grossly improperly made and or you are running way, way, way, too fast!

There is really no problem at all with direct fire, after all, the steam-jacketed stills have open flames as well, just under the steam jacket and not in direct with the pot.

We are setting up one of our stills with direct fire. We haven't built it yet but will in the next few weeks. I will post full info and photos so interested folks can see the details.

My partner was a contractor and in light industry and went over the fire codes with the local Fire Marshal and discussed all the details in planning the firebox for the still.

We set up an air intake vent in the distillery and an explosion proof exhaust fan (like paint shops use) to circulate air and vent any fumes. Also water hoses to dilute a spill immediately.

I don't remember off hand the full details, but the Fire Marshal said a bunch of stuff; we have to have the still with fire brick or concrete underneath, have a sealed firebox with a sealing access door and insulation foam/material sealing any cracks or gaps between the still and the firebox, have a intake flue to bring in outside air through the building wall for the firebox, and a chimney that vents the firebox up through the roof.

Is anyone using direct-fired stills?

My local Fire Marshall seems uninterested in returning my calls or emails. How have folks enclosed their flame source? What type of exhaust system, if any, is being used? I am loathe to get deep into building plans only to have a local official freak out over the threat of explosion.

Brandy Peak Distillers in Brookings OR. is wood fired

541-469-094

Call me for a story on this in the ADI newsletter Bill Owens 510-886-741

Brandy Peak Distillers in Brookings OR. is wood fired

541-469-094

Call me for a story on this in the ADI newsletter Bill Owens 510-886-741

two of our stills are direct fired. We just bricked them but should have put insulation too... Maybe when we have more $$.

we have a vent in the roof on what is basically a dimmer switch so we can adjust the speed of the fan. We used a contractor to install it, but also had to put in updraft and downdraft vents per the city. You will have to see what your city wants you to do as we have learned that they are the most difficult entity to deal with.

integrityspirits.blogspot.com