Interesting read, not everyone will love us.

Carefully read and re-read again. Although a snob,he has some very valid points. Many micros are simply trying to be everything to everyone and their products suffer. While I don't think anyone out there is trying to compete with 18 year old scotch, I do think there's some really good products aged over short terms, but they are usually one of only a couple of products offered by the distiller.

I'll have to agree with there being things coming from micros that don't even stand up to Fighting Cock, but folks keep buying them for the novelty. Some of the harshest products in the micro lines are the most touted and highest priced. Personally, if it isn't smooth enough to drink neat I won't buy it. Same goes for my products. Some of the most enjoyable have been cask strength scotches at 120+, And some of the 'hottest', kill your taste bud stuff has been from micros who cut to 80.

So...........maybe some of the micro distillers should maybe read a little closer and look more at making a 'perfect' product, do local tastings, put out a bottle at the barbeque alongside a known good product and see how their's is received. No labels, just put some products in some plain wine bottles (after they've been bond bottled of course) and watch from a distance to see how your's fairs. You might be surprised at the faces some folks make over your product, both good or bad.

You might be surprised at the faces some folks make over your product, both good or bad.

This has been a good measure for me. Sit at a distance and watch as those who drink spirits and those who do not normally drink spirits try what you've made. Don't dismiss this kind of feedback.

I wonder if similar articles were ever written about craft brewing or California wines. Not everybody is a fan I suppose, but he has some valid points. That the large batch blending is required speaks to the possible inconsistency of even the large distilleries and poor quality large volume produced spirits require more time and batch blending to become good. While really incredible spirit producers small, medium or large can certainly make great spirits regardless of there volume.

Just my 2 cents. Good to keep in mind as we crack into this world, don't cheapen your brand with something you don't love yourself.

The author should be aware craft distilling has enlivened an othewrwise boring and stagnant industry. Craft distilling has forced "Big Al" to raise their game. How much Rye Whiskey was on shelves before Mr. Maytag's effort? What is now happening with even the standards, Honey in Whiskey, Different (LOCAL) Gins, Absenthe, not to speak of the undistinguished so called spiced products that were develpoed decades ago to work with the phospherous in the colas. They are now learning to respect consumers choice and launching upgraded products. And are they not touting "Quick" aging process in some of their new products?

There is now a big entry to this distilling world of investor types rather than passionate artisans. And maybe they are woking the angles a little too sharply. I'll admit I got into craft distilling to show people in Eastern Massachusetts that you can do something more. Manufacturing was 65% of jobs when I was a kid. Now, about 15%. The perentage of manufacturing Beverage Alcohol in this country verses consumption... "Fugget abowd it".. The Author should get some education on the history of rum. British and European Rum at a time was mostly made in Massachusetts, Newburyport's "Caldwells" and Medford's "Old Medford". There were actually 73 or so Distilleries on the Mystic River at one time, as part of the Trade Triangle. How can you properly bake a bean (Bean Town, Boston) without Molasses?

When reading articles like this I just need to remember Craft brewers motto, "It isn't that you do not like beer, you just have not met the beer you like".

It seems very telling that a Johny Walker Blue advertisement preceeds this gentleman's article.

He is incorrect to generalize about the entire micro-distilling industry. As with all industries, there are good products and there are bad products. Micros are growing because people thirst for innovative local products, not because they believe that the local distiller can make a 30 year Scotch! If nothing else, we are propelling consumers to try something other than the same old major brands.

So, sure there are some truths in his article, but taken as a whole it is simply an attempt to get people reading and talking......and it worked.