Hardcopy of CFR regs

I was thinking about ordering a hardcopy of the CFR's from the US Govt. bookstore. I'm tired of always going back to the computer to look something up, and the online version isn't exactly printer friendly.

What I don't know is the quality of the Govt. printing. Anyone have an official publication? Is it a properly bound book? Is the text layout and fontsize composed well for easy reading?

Thanks!

i've seen a printed copy of the regs once, it was waved in front of the group (At a distilling class back in 2006?) as an example of the quanitity of "stuff" to concern ourselves with as future distillers. I remember it being like 3-4 inches thick... it stood up to the waving around by the instructor,...that's all i have for you RE quality.

But more imporantly, why again are you trading away the ability to instantly search that vast document? To save trips to the computer? This baffles me. You will easily spend as much time referencing tables of contents and then trying to find secions, articles, paragraphs, items, as you will by returning to the computer to digitally search for exactly what you are looking to reference. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but the electronic version is a huge improvement over the printed version because of the amount of information that document contains. And the digital version is FREE!! and already available!!

Maybe move your computer closer? Or look up the document on your smart phone? Or invest the money the printed copy will cost you on a smart phone that can look it up and do lots of other things too? Technology is a good thing.

Best of Luck with this.

-Scott

Ok, one of the rare times I don't agree with Scott. I printed them out, and took them to a local shop to have them bound. I read through every bit of the documentation...several times. I also highlighted several sections and wrote notes on there. It was much easier with a hard copy than a digital copy...for me anyway.

I bought a copy two years ago, highlighted it all over, made notes in the margins, flagged pages and read myself to sleep with it every night for a month. Pretty good investment, I must say. I still refer to it often, since it has all my highlights and notes. Just my 2 cents (or $35, to be more accurate).

Jess (my wife and our master distiller) has just informed me how horriably off my opinion on this is. She says she too would have wanted a hard copy to referece while working out the process. So.....yeah. But in my experience with the startup licenses, and when i need to reference the standards of identity sections for our label design requirements, I've aways gotten by with good old HTML and ctrl+F.

-Scott

Yep, even the TTB agent that did our audit had the hardcopy with sticky notes everywhere... Hardcopy is a great for bookmarking or highlighting sections of interest.

Remember, that is 900 pages to print, so if your cost per page is much more than 3 cents, it would be cheaper to buy the bound volume ;-) Cheapest laser printers run about 1.5 cents per page for ink, plus the cost of two reams of paper at $12/ream (cheapest), that is going to be hard to beat.

Current price is $37 including free shipping (USPO), and last revision date is April 2012.

OK, I convinced me, I am ordering one ;-)

I wanted to get some clarification on CFR 27 when looking at the online version. It looks like parts 1-39 are the areas that pertain distilleries and alcohol. Are there any other sections that I should be reading and studying? Thanks.

Yep, even the TTB agent that did our audit had the hardcopy with sticky notes everywhere... Hardcopy is a great for bookmarking or highlighting sections of interest.

what was the audit experience like? Was this part of the federal walkthru? (not all of us have been inspected by the TTB yet, but I know it's coming eventually...still licensed and operating, just never had the privalege an official TTB visit...) Did they give you a heads up and then take over your office going through your gauging records until they decided they were finished? Maybe a topic for a new thread, but I'd sure like to know what they put you through if you wouldn't mind sharing.....

Thanks very much,

-Scott

what was the audit experience like? Was this part of the federal walkthru? (not all of us have been inspected by the TTB yet, but I know it's coming eventually...still licensed and operating, just never had the privalege an official TTB visit...) Did they give you a heads up and then take over your office going through your gauging records until they decided they were finished? Maybe a topic for a new thread, but I'd sure like to know what they put you through if you wouldn't mind sharing.....

Thanks very much,

-Scott

This wasn't the walk through (we've been open two years now). My audit was what the TTB calls a "Product Integrity Audit". The agent insisted it was a random audit, she does several a year. She spent three days at the distillery. It was a bit involved to fully discuss here, but be sure, they are coming and they will find something you aren't doing right. :-) We passed the audit however and are happy to have learned from the experience.

Phil

Looks like I'm buying tthe book. Does any one know of any software or record keeping application for keeping TTB Records. I've found my site and will be signing the lease and then making application for Licensing. I'm not distilling so I hope all goes smoothly and quickly.

Seriously, after reading the above link to common compliance issues in TTB audits of DSPs, can anyone out there say that they are complying with more than 50% of the regs? Has anyone actually read that link?

The regs are all fine and dandy for Diageo, but, seriously, daily records of my inventory with signed affirmations under penalty of purjury? How's about I pay my taxes (which are so insignificant that they don't even notice them) and we call it good... eh?

Not that a handsomely bound volume of regulations ever hurts anyone's image...

Nick

P.S. How many of you actually have PINs on your barrels as per the regulations?

Seriously, after reading the above link to common compliance issues in TTB audits of DSPs, can anyone out there say that they are complying with more than 50% of the regs? Has anyone actually read that link?

P.S. How many of you actually have PINs on your barrels as per the regulations?

yeah, it's something, isn't it? initially, we have been recording every daily detail in a general log, essentially a chronological lab notebook, and then transferring relevant information into the categories required. we plan to move to regular use of a database to maintain the required information, while maintaining the general log for details for our own needs. general rule has been, you do it, you write it down.

As a publisher, I think a lot about print versus digital. There still seems to be a place for paper and there is nothing that precludes you from using both, according to the situation. If you want to be a distiller, you're going to spend a lot of time with the regs. You should use anything and everything that helps you understand and comply with them.