heat exchanger wanted

Looking to cool our wort. 500gal from 158F to 77. We've been fermenting and distilling on the grain thus far and our knock down time is outrageous. Changing over to a lauter system and looking to cool enroute to the fermenters.

We are looking for a used commercial heat exchanger or a supplier of a reasonably priced new one. Please no home brew crap. Thanks

Looking to cool our wort. 500gal from 158F to 77.

I don't know how things are north of the border at the moment, but down here used equipment is absurdly expensive. Denver gave you the best places to look for used, but compare those used prices with new, like the companies that he mentioned and this company: http://www.wcr-regasketing.com/. Whenever I look at used equipment, the question that gives me the heebie-jeebies is, "used to do what?"

I have recently implemented one of WCR's gasketed plate and frame (I strongly advise you not to go brazed, like that homebrew crap) heat exchangers in our distillery for the purpose of pre-heating our wash (an additional benefit of your heat exchanger that you may have overlooked).

We're pre-heating 400 gals of wash from 70 F to 150 F and cooling our used condenser water from 180 F to 90 F in more or less 1/1 quantities using WCR's model no WCR-A216B with 43 plates and two passes. Matt Kosik is the engineer that helped us out.

Good luck,

Nick

• 11 months later...

Try www.bid-on-equipment.com or call Sigma packaging equipment if you have your heart set on a plate exchanger. Thermaline/Nixon Vicarb are in WA state, and they sell excellent HX's.

I'm having the same problems as you, but I'm considering a scaled-up homebrew crap approach. If it works, I'll post it.

• 2 weeks later...

Lb,

I distribute a line of shell and tube mash exchangers, two week lead time from receipt of order and payment.

I can sent a photo over to you if you email me at mikegronski@gmail.com

I offer the closed loop system: chiller with chilled water pump, water reservoir and mash exchanger.

Regards,

Mike

We have a tube-in-tube from Thermaline, 1.5" ID for pumping the mash through, 10' total length (5' with U-bend), less than $3K. Could have been longer for that price, but we were space constrained.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am going to have a couple small drycoolers reworked- good for first stage cooling in summer or complete winter cooling when combined with a large enough process water/glycol reservoir. Going to have a 5 and 6 ton nominal completed. This is matched to a shell/tube exchanger (under $5K) . Is it your intention to make this a closed loop or are you going to use city (or well) water to make it happen?

• 2 weeks later...

To size a plate and frame you will need to also provide the knockout time (or flow rate), cooing water temperature, cooling flow rate available. Alfa Laval and GEA are a couple other high end makers. Try AGC Heat Transfer for an economy/value supplier in the US; they have both east and west coast locations.

you need something like this, scaled down appropriately

shellandtube.jpg

Building a slightly smaller version of this in all copper for a client

5ft long with 7 passes back and forth of 2". all in a single path to reduce clogging, but if its cleared wort that wouldn't be an issue.

I had thoughts about fitting a control system to it to regulate coolant flow, which would give you the ability to dial in your output temps, but that might just be overkill.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking for a used commercial heat exchanger or a supplier of a reasonably priced new one. Please no home brew crap. Thanks

I am also introducing a nsf air/mash or wort cooler for high temp side of mash cool (fan has 400 watt mtr) to within 10F degrees of ambient, so for summer you would need a source of chilled water and a smaller exchanger to take out remainder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, I have installed a numbers of systems that do exactly what you demand. In plants that use a lot of process or boiler feed water I install a heat exchanger that uses incoming plant water to cool your product and also heat the incoming water to feed your boiler or other process that use hot water.

I am dismantling two large food plants and have a wide range of process equipment including heat exchangers, copper kettles, pumps, ss valves, clamps, tubing etc.

Junior