How are people letting their mash clear?

GeekSpirits

I have been playing with some small molasses based runs but it never clears. I have let the fermentation run for over three weeks to a point where there is very small to no activity and it is still dark brown. Have people tried some of the clearing agents before?

Why do you want it clear? Your just going to distill it anyway. The distillate will be clear, should be clear... might be clear.....pretty much clear at least my stills work that way.

Yes, there is no reason to clear mash (wash, beer, etc..) before distilling. There are some cases in which you do want the particulate matter out of the wash.

1. if your using direct heat elements. because they might burn and give off flavors.

2. will help with not crusting up your still.

3. helps with the foaming.

if you run your wash through a professional filter before distilling you can prevent, mostly, the above scenarios.

Yes, there is no reason to clear mash (wash, beer, etc..) before distilling. There are some cases in which you do want the particulate matter out of the wash.

1. if your using direct heat elements. because they might burn and give off flavors.

2. will help with not crusting up your still.

3. helps with the foaming.

if you run your wash through a professional filter before distilling you can prevent, mostly, the above scenarios.

I am worried about off flavors, especially if the yeast is still in the wash. I do get a"pepper" flavor when distilled so I wasn't certain what was imparting that flavor.

I am worried about off flavors, especially if the yeast is still in the wash. I do get a"pepper" flavor when distilled so I wasn't certain what was imparting that flavor.

Choose the right yeast. Many yeasts are chosen precisely because they add a flavor or aroma that is typical of the particular spirit. This is especially true of whiskey's, for example. When we make spirits from honey, the choice of yeast has significant affect on the final flavor and smell of the distillate, since the honey contributes subtly to the congeners. I would think molasses and sugar washes generally are similar to that, and you should be sure to use a yeast recommended for rum.

If you run GNS through your still, do you get any flavors? Sometimes the off flavors are a still cleanliness issue.

Choose the right yeast. Many yeasts are chosen precisely because they add a flavor or aroma that is typical of the particular spirit. This is especially true of whiskey's, for example. When we make spirits from honey, the choice of yeast has significant affect on the final flavor and smell of the distillate, since the honey contributes subtly to the congeners. I would think molasses and sugar washes generally are similar to that, and you should be sure to use a yeast recommended for rum.

If you run GNS through your still, do you get any flavors? Sometimes the off flavors are a still cleanliness issue.

Good suggestion, I will try running some GNS through it. I have been using a Champagne yeast.

Bluestar is right about yeast. Yeast choice is crucial for flavor and how it acts. It doesn't seem necessary to worry about yeast dropping out in a case of distillation. But if for some reason it is important, try choosing a yeast strain with better flocculation. Some yeast strains will drop out and some stay suspended. Most labs can provide you with a flocculation rating for each product they carry.