Halfdave

You could use "Pyrex" http://www.greatglas.com/ but the expenses might be more than using copper. Unless there is some specific reason you need to see inside the column just stick with copper. I'll waiting right now for a quote on a "Pyrex" column, but don't expect it to be the less inexpensive way to go.

There's a bar/distillery in Denver area who was using a very large pyrex column so patrons at the bar could watch the process. Not sure if it's still in operation though.

Main reason I can see for not using pyrex is if you're doing anything besides vodka or gin. Gotta have that copper in there for brandy and whickey.

You should talk to Steve at Artisan Still Design, he's got a guy that builds larger glass columns... They are bubble tray style inside the glass column, but I believe the condenser and dephlegmator are stainless steel.

I have a 4" glass column, dephleg & condenser is stainless. Has 4 copper bubble plates. I'nnot in production yet but test runs are impressive. Check my Facebook page just search Appalachian Mountain Spirits, Home of the Virginia Sweetwater Distillery.

Main reason I can see for not using pyrex is if you're doing anything besides vodka or gin. Gotta have that copper in there for brandy and whickey.

And why for Brandy and whiskey?

Copper is needed to absorb sulphur compounds, especially in whisk(e)y production. With no copper you get a turnipy smell.

I am not familiar with brandy so I am not sure if copper is needed if the wine being distilled has not been sulphonated.

I ask the question, if vodka and gin are made from grain base, why isn't copper needed?

I suspect it is because these products are pushed to a much higher ABV which gives sulphur more time to escape, or maybe it is the carbon filtration??

I ask the question, if vodka and gin are made from grain base, why isn't copper needed?

I suspect it is because these products are pushed to a much higher ABV which gives sulphur more time to escape, or maybe it is the carbon filtration??

I'm also curious about this. I'm guessing it's the length of column and degree of separation that comes from the plates/packing. Eventually it falls out, but when, where, and why?

Copper is needed to absorb sulphur compounds, especially in whisk(e)y production. With no copper you get a turnipy smell.

I am not familiar with brandy so I am not sure if copper is needed if the wine being distilled has not been sulphonated.

All fermentations produce varying levels of sulphur.

For brandy, you're reacting with sulphur and ethyl carbamate. (and for stone fruits, cyanide)

For Gin, the GNS you use should already have reduced levels of sulphur.

For Vodka, the distillation process, if designed properly, should separate out the sulphur compounds. Those congeners leave with the stillage.

Guest autocrib

Pyrex is solid to a temperature beyond that achievable with an air-gas torch. Thus, it requires an oxygen-gas torch to work.