Concrete Floor Sealer Recommendations

Panoscape

Wondering if anyone has some recommendations regarding a FDA/DOA approved concrete floor sealer that holds up to ethanol. I searched with google and found some, but wanted to get some advice regarding actual use. If you've got one that doesn't smell too bad when applied, I'd like to know that too.

Thanks,

rw

epoxy based floor sealers should do the job, as with any such product it will need to be touched up or redone in time with wear, but should last several years.

but yes they do have some smell and off gassing as they cure, but once its done should last quite a while

We searched and searched and used some stuff that came highly recommended. It sucks. It's one of my least favorite parts of the distillery since it chips. I don't know of anyone that has had luck with a good sealer, but I haven't asked too many folks either. We have tried a few different options since we opened. I HATE coatings now.

If I did it again, I'd polish the floors (concrete polish is supposed to be fairly easy) and be done with it. While ethanol is not supposed to be good for concrete, there's so little of it that actually spends any time on the floor, it shouldn't do much if anything. That's my $.02 anyway.

For the small portion of our concrete that we sealed, (curbed washout area) we used an epoxy paint intended for use in pools. The primer is water based and relatively benign, while the finish coat seemed to be a resin type base (much more nasty-smelling during application). Here are links to both products:

Primer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epoxy-Swimming-Pool-Paint-Primer-1-Gallon-/200545427819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb170616b

Finish coat:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Poxy-Epoxy-Shield-Swimming-Pool-Paint-1-Gallon-Dark-Blue-Color-/200708111832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebb22bdd8

For the rest of the concrete floor, we left it as it came. We try to avoid spills, but even a spill of 95% ABV doesn't seem to affect the bare concrete at all.

For the washout area, the health inspector did confirm that epoxy paint was approved. In Louisiana, the state health department also inspects on behalf of the FDA.

If you use this stuff, I suggest getting enough primer for several coats, as it can really smooth out any imperfections in the surface.

It goes without saying that prepping the floor prior to sealing is very important. Also, if the floor is less than 1 year old moisture is still evaporating from the concrete and will lift any coating that is put down on it.

We did extensive research on epoxy paint for our floor. We decided we wanted to make sure we used an epoxy that was fully resistant to ethanol. Very few of the epoxy paints are. You need a true two-part epoxy, not water based. The best for this application appears to be polyimide or some polyurethane based epoxies. If you are paying a professional to apply it, the cost differential of using these more expensive epoxies is a small part of the job. As mentioned, you must resurface the concrete, even if new, by grinding, to get proper binding and avoid chipping and delamination later, and all holes and cracks have to be filled. The epoxy we used has performed well, even with 180 proof spills and exposure to steam. We were able to do a 450 sq. ft. area for a bit over $1000.

• 2 years later...

Bluestar, I have to decide on a floor coating asap and I was wondering if you could share the name of the product you wound up using? I have been getting quotes for covering a 3000sf space with some kind of epoxy slurry coating that would cost about $50k........obviously not happening. I would love to find something I can apply myself. Thanks.

• 7 years later...
On 8/26/2012 at 6:30 PM, Jedd Haas said:

For the small portion of our concrete that we sealed, (curbed washout area) we used an epoxy paint intended for use in pools. The primer is water based and relatively benign, while the finish coat seemed to be a resin type base (much more nasty-smelling during application). Here are links to both products:

Primer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epoxy-Swimming-Pool-Paint-Primer-1-Gallon-/200545427819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb170616b

Finish coat:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Poxy-Epoxy-Shield-Swimming-Pool-Paint-1-Gallon-Dark-Blue-Color-/200708111832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebb22bdd8

For the rest of the concrete floor, we left it as it came. We try to avoid spills, but even a spill of 95% ABV doesn't seem to affect the bare concrete at all.

For the washout area, the health inspector did confirm that epoxy paint was approved. In Louisiana, the state health department also inspects on behalf of the FDA.

If you use this stuff, I suggest getting enough primer for several coats, as it can really smooth out any imperfections in the surface.

concrete sealing san antonio

So, I'm having a little bit of moisture penetration up through my floor in the shop. The slab is only about a year old and is hand finished with large fresno trowels so it has a fairly smooth finish to it. So I've been looking at penetrating densifiers/sealers. There are a lot out there. I've found on the forum here a few posts regarding Concrete Sealers USA product PS104. Can anyone speak to the effectiveness of this product from their own experiences? Is there better product? I want to correctly seal the floor before I lay my racedeck.

• 4 months later...
On 12/8/2022 at 5:03 AM, niyoc382 said:

So, I'm having a little bit of moisture penetration up through my floor in the shop. The slab is only about a year old and is hand finished with large fresno trowels so it has a fairly smooth finish to it. So I've been looking at penetrating densifiers/sealers. There are a lot out there. I've found on the forum here a few posts regarding Concrete Sealers USA product PS104. Can anyone speak to the effectiveness of this product from their own experiences? Is there better product? I want to correctly seal the floor before I lay my racedeck.

concrete sealing orlando

no response to this 

51 minutes ago, SlickFloss said:

No experience with the product quoted. I would never use an epoxy product again ever. Polished concrete all day everywhere.

I agree wholeheartedly. Two distilleries I've worked for had epoxy floors and both were a nightmare. The worst was liable to cause slip injuries and I thank my stars I left that place without a workman's comp claim. I have seen some breweries successfully use a grey tile material that offered great grip when wet. But my favorite is polished concrete. I know of multiple distilleries successfully using it as well as a few wineries.