Transfer Pump Confusion

StonesRyan

Hello,

I'm only in the early stages of starting a distillery in Colorado and this is my first post in the ADI forums because I've always been able to find answers to my questions in older posts - so thank you all for providing such a wealth of information on here. Anyway, I couldn't find any previous posts relating to my question, which deals with transfer pumps. Can someone please clarify what sort of pump would be suitable for use in applications such as transferring from mash tun to fermenter, fermenter to boiler, boiler to tank used for diluting (as well as being able to transfer dilution water from a holding tank to the diluting tank), and spent grains to storage tanks?

I'm having trouble with this while trying to source a pump because I've had two suppliers tell me that it must be pneumatic rather than electric for use within a distillery. I can understand why, but wouldn't other electrical components (such as overhead lighting) also be of the same risk? Also, the pneumatic pump requires an air compressor, which would be run off of electricity...

What are others using to accomplish these tasks? Any insight or enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ryan

The NEC only specifies that you have to have a class 1, div one motor or other components within 3 ft of an open source of the volatile stuff. Outside that range it is not as critical. So we are talking your spirit safe, agitator, and proofing areas only. Transfering mash and stillage can be done with any pump that can be cleaned and is tolerant to the low alcohol content and temperatures. At least 230F is needed for the seals and impeller. Moving high proof alcohol is a different story entirely. For that stainless steel and teflon are great choices and can be found in most good quality pneumatic pumps especially graco brand. There are a lot of small polypropylene and teflon pneumatic pumps on the market which are suitable also.

An air compressor can be in an different room and still supply air for the pumps. Electric XP class 1 div 1 pumps are not so expensive but fractional sizes can not be repaired in the USA and recertified. If they fail they can only be replaced. On the other hand, pneumatic pumps have off the shelf replacement parts available and can be repaired with a screwdriver and a socket set by nearly anyone.

Ryan,

Welcome to the Colorado Distilling community. Please reach out to others in in colorado to get you going. We use two types of pumps, pneumatic diaphragm for high proof spirits and a flexible impeller pump for other liquids. The flexible impeller works well for mash with solids for me. You are welcome to stop by for a visit to see it in action.

Krstian

Ryan,

Welcome to the Colorado Distilling community. Please reach out to others in in colorado to get you going. We use two types of pumps, pneumatic diaphragm for high proof spirits and a flexible impeller pump for other liquids. The flexible impeller works well for mash with solids for me. You are welcome to stop by for a visit to see it in action.

Krstian

We do the same, most others we know do so as well.

Ryan,

Krstian

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate it!

Kristian, I'd love to take you up on that and come see your facility. How can I arrange to do that?

Kristian and Sherman

My name is Paul and I sell distilling equipment. What size and brand of pump would you recommend for moving mash between Mash Tun, Fermenter and Still, all vessels being of 100 gallon capacity? Also what size and type of hoses would you recommend for the same job?

Thank you very much for your help

hi Sherman, can you suggest any sources for lengths of the purple flexwing shorter than full rolls? Goodyear gave me the names of several local dealers, but for all of them it was a "special order" for a full roll only. Haven't found any on ebay yet.

• 6 months later...

Hi, like the OP I'm new here, although have found this forum very helpful for many questions I've had. We're in Toronto and received our distillery licence last month (first new distillery in the City of Toronto since before prohibition). We have a small 13 gallon still we've been experimenting with, but are also building out our larger setup.

I'd like to re-bump this thread in the hopes of some more feedback re: pumps.

We're going to be fermenting wheat grain-in, using 55 gallon open top containers. What i'm looking for is a pump suitable for pumping out the fermenters to load up the still. I need something that can handle the suspended solids, but is still safe for food contact. I've seen several types of pump, including:

-centrifugal

-lobe pumps

-diaphragm

-flexible impeller

I'm looking for a recommendation for which of these is best for moving grain-in mash? Also, what size inlet and outlet would you recommend? Any brands or models that people have been happy with?

Thanks very much.

- Jesse Razaqpur