Filtering Question

Mike@DIS

To chill or not to chill, that is my question. I have visited several craft distillers and some insist that chill filtering is a must, while others have told me that the quality of the filtration media is the real concern and don't bother chilling at all. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance! Cheers!!

Our plan is to start with Vodka/Gin and move into white Whiskey. We want a smooth product but would like to maintain some character. What are your preferences for finding that balance? This seems to be an area that has as many opinions a practitioners. Does this mean it's just a matter of trial and error? Thanks for any guidance you have to offer.

Well it's not a straight answer, you will have to do some trial and error. I mean the info I can give is usually the sort of thing I do when I'm developing a product.

You're going to have to do research on the web and see what the differences are so you have an understanding of what they do and the outcome.

if you want character in your final product, don't filter with carbon, and don't worry about the added process step and expense that comes with chilling. A partiulate filter will remove any "floaties" and let all other flavor pass through. Mcmaster-Carr is a good resource to start looking at standard systems available for quick purchase and implementation...

-Scott

• 1 month later...

Anyone's thoughts on the two filters on this mcmaster-carr page?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-filter-cartridges/=jxo984

looking at the Polyethersulfone 10" double open ended filters 43765K14 (.2 micron) and 43765K12 (.45 micron)

anyone have a good price distributor for millipore? The quote I got for 2 filters (KPHLA10TT1 and KVGLA10TT1) was $700... eeeek..

-mike

Anyone's thoughts on the two filters on this mcmaster-carr page?

http://www.mcmaster....tridges/=jxo984

looking at the Polyethersulfone 10" double open ended filters 43765K14 (.2 micron) and 43765K12 (.45 micron)

anyone have a good price distributor for millipore? The quote I got for 2 filters (KPHLA10TT1 and KVGLA10TT1) was $700... eeeek..

-mike

can't speak with authority on the 2 models you list. However, anyone who can will need to know what type of spirit you are filtering, and what you are trying to remove from the spirit. Particles? Color? taste? etc...

-Scott