used stills question

jlevac

Just wondering if there is a website or brokers of used stills? Similar to probrewer.com

I'm trying to figure out a ballpark figure for 150gal still from various manufacturers and I'd like to get to know the used market a little more.

Thanks

J

Hey J

Before designing and building our own still, We searched for used stills for some time and came up with nothing other than homemade stainless keg type rigs. Every once and a while you'll find someone on this site selling their slightly used Carl or Vendome so they can upgrade to a bigger system. Problem is that their prices are still really high. The big names will charge approx. $50k-$60K for a new 150gal system.

Regards,

Sean

Hey J

Before designing and building our own still, We searched for used stills for some time and came up with nothing other than homemade stainless keg type rigs. Every once and a while you'll find someone on this site selling their slightly used Carl or Vendome so they can upgrade to a bigger system. Problem is that their prices are still really high. The big names will charge approx. $50k-$60K for a new 150gal system.

Regards,

Sean

Not sure where the "Big Names" come up with such big pricing but you can get a 150 gallon still with EVERYTHING for half or less the price they are charging and built of quality and functionality and made exactly to your needs and specifications and even cosmetic looks.

jlevic,

As a good rule of thumb, based on what I have seen on this website with used stills in the last year. Regardless of company you will pay around 60-70% of the retail price for a used system. You can go to the for sale and see a few posts from the last couple of months for example on Carl, vendome, and Holstein stills in the 150L to 400L range. A 400L Carl was quoted to me around 58K new, but I would guess that price is rising as demand increases.

Gladhatter,

Please list the suppliers you think fit that bill. I would sure like to know who they are.

I am sorry that I do not know any one to name. I just wish to be clear. I find it a bit of a challenge to absorb main stream pricing and existent economies. I do not live in the same universe as some folks, I reckon. We build stills for a fair amount less that is being quoted here and can build them to demanding specifications.

We have only specialized in showcase pot stills to date. No web site. Did not really come here to sell stills but only to relax and learn a bit from all these knowledgeable folks. Should not have spouted off. We have a long back log and are not seeking new business to speak of with rare exceptions.

Gladhatter -

Hats and Distilled beverage and the equipment to make both. I

need a hat stretcher. I got rained on at Tales this year and it shrunk my hat. Do you have any of those?

I am pretty sure we have several differing antique hat stretchers we are letting go of, depending on your wishes. You can get one off eBay as well new for a few dollars. Sounds like however you need a hat mostly if yours is shrinking in the elements then it is not doing its job very well since you have to protect it instead of it protecting you.

Yes, the hat is a handmade straw weave type mostly intended for sun shade not torrential downpour. I'll look on ebay, thanks.

Hey Kristian, I understand now. Our most expensive hats we produce are Montechristi straw hats that can run up to 30,000 for a single hat. We have a friend that gets 100,000 for the same hat.

"Fat Charley" makes a fine stretcher and sells it on eBay. If you do not find it let me know and I will help you more. Did not mean to dis your hat.

Charlie