55 gallon Transfer Pump (explosion proof)

deadlywarbler

Hi Everyone,

I have hit a bit of an hurdle and need some advice. I am needing to transfer 55 gallons of 190 proof ethanol from an HDPE barrel with a 2" bung adapter. The issues is that I'm looking for a relatively cheap pump since I really only do a transfer like this once in a while (I make cocktail bitters commercially and 55 gallons goes a long way). I can seem to find manual pumps that are good for flammables, but obviously aren't intended for beverage use. All of the FDA approved pumps that I have found aren't explosion proof. I know there are some higher dollar pumps out there, but those aren't really in the budget so I'm hoping not to have to buy one.

Can someone offer some advice on transferring this amount of ethanol from the HDPE barrel to my stainless storage tank. Is there a product out there intended for this that I am just overlooking? If anyone has experience with this, please share. If you know of pumps that would work, or techniques that would work, I'm all ears. Thank you!

J

if you have access to an air compressor, you could most definitely get away with an air powered diaphragm pump. It doesn't have an explosion-proof motor like some centrifugal pumps that many use for ethanol transfer, but not have any electrical parts usually satisfies most safety concerns. Also, diaphram pumps like this are self priming which can be really if you don't have a port on the bottom of your barrel.

You could get an appropriate one from mcmastercarr for under $350 - http://www.mcmaster.com/#diaphragm-transfer-pumps/=jjaw9s - model #13465K18

Thanks for the advice! I had been looking at rotary pumps, but the electric motor isn't the only risk for ignition. The rotary pump itself and fluid in a hose that isn't static free can create a static charge. This is the issue with stainless pumps that I've been coming across. I'll look into the pneumatic pump from McMaster Carr. Hopefully it is appropriate.

The rotary pump is connected to the drum, the insertion tube is stainless not a hose. You can easily ground the drum et al if you desire. Put a stainless pail on the drum (what the hell, clip that to the ground too) and crank away, presto you're done. Or spend a bunch of money and time with a pneumatic pump, flexible hoses, hose attachments, cleaning fluids, and gee I guess you'll still have to ground the container you're pumping into, all to pump out a few gallons at a time?

I used to weigh all my batches on a small platform scale so I used drums for everything. When I emptied a drum I just put it on a higher level and let gravity do the work. For removing small quantities it's hard to beat a rotary pump.

fyi, if you haven't already, a wheeled drum dolly is very handy.

The cheapest and easiest would likely be a modified barrel bung that had a dip tube, and a second port on it as well. In much the same manner as beer is transfered from the keg to a serving tap, you could push your GNS out the dip tube with a few pounds of co2 pressure.

Hey Dave, exactly how did you get those drums up high? Forklift? I love the idea of that, but can't imagine how to do it safely. The tank I have to poor into us 6' high already.

The issue with the rotary pumps is that they aren't approved for beverage/food. Otherwise it would be perfect.

J

forklift up to a mezzanine. But your using small quantities, so that doesn't seem necessary.

"The issue with the rotary pumps is that they aren't approved for beverage/food. Otherwise it would be perfect."

How can 304 or 316 stainless steel tubes not be approved for beverage? It is perfect. You seem to be making more problems for yourself out of something that should be simple.

btw, check out hawaiibitters.com if you haven't already. They kickstarted their project, and... they use my booze.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could even put a husky gas pump style handle on the other end and really control safe transfers by pressurizing the line and then being able to use the gas pump to throttle entry to the tank. This works well with air diaphragm pumps for the same reason, they build up a designated pressure then turn off until more pressure is needed.