Hello from Ovid, MI

Hello all,

I am working on starting a new micro-distillery here in Ovid, MI distilling whiskey and tequila. Although I have brewed Beer, Mead, and Wine as a hobbyist for nearly 30 years, distilling is new to me (call me crazy). I certainly appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, and tips anyone has to offer.

I plan on using copper pot style distiller (probably 400 liters to start) and would really appreciate any feedback on still makers as well as advice on equipment, barrels, etc.

My (obvious) first task is learning about the licensing and regulations to ensure the property where I want to operate from is doable. I would also appreciate any direction on books that distillers have found useful - of course I have been traveling all over the place talking to currently established small distilleries but as always, you can never have too much information.

Thanks for reading my intro!

Jeff Swan

hi Jeff, welcome to the forum. First thing you should know is that to produce tequila, you have to be in Mexico. I'd recommend downloading the TTB's Beverage Alcohol Manual, volume 2, distilled spirits. If you're planning on distilling agave, you can definitely do so, but you can't legally call it tequila.

Jeff, you are so close to MSU, have you taken any of the courses they offer there on distilling, or the short course at Michigan Brewing they offer?

Hello all,

I am working on starting a new micro-distillery here in Ovid, MI distilling whiskey and tequila. Although I have brewed Beer, Mead, and Wine as a hobbyist for nearly 30 years, distilling is new to me (call me crazy). I certainly appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, and tips anyone has to offer.

I plan on using copper pot style distiller (probably 400 liters to start) and would really appreciate any feedback on still makers as well as advice on equipment, barrels, etc.

My (obvious) first task is learning about the licensing and regulations to ensure the property where I want to operate from is doable. I would also appreciate any direction on books that distillers have found useful - of course I have been traveling all over the place talking to currently established small distilleries but as always, you can never have too much information.

Thanks for reading my intro!

Jeff Swan