Looking for some rough numbers for whiskey calculations-

Donutboy

If we loaded the fermentation tank with 100g of liquid @ 8% what would you expect to get on your stripping run and what you would expect to collect on your spirit run(s).

I know that there are some varying factors that could make this a better question but just looking for some ball park numbers for some crunching fun.

Thanks!

Donut

18 gallons of 40% for a simple pot still. If you collected all the heads hearts and tails down to about 15% this is what you will get. If it is slight;ly better that is a bonus of the reflux in your system. If not I'd be checking for vapor leaks. on you stripping run, your heads will be approximatley 8% of the raw alcohol or 10 % total, so 1.8 gallons. The tails will start when the vapor temp is near 204F. You will probably get 15 g of good stuff about 130P. Of course this implies pot stills with no plates.

18 gallons of 40% for a simple pot still. If you collected all the heads hearts and tails down to about 15% this is what you will get. If it is slight;ly better that is a bonus of the reflux in your system. If not I'd be checking for vapor leaks. on you stripping run, your heads will be approximatley 8% of the raw alcohol or 10 % total, so 1.8 gallons. The tails will start when the vapor temp is near 204F. You will probably get 15 g of good stuff about 130P. Of course this implies pot stills with no plates.

I do not disagree with your numbers Sherman, you have answered Donut's question as he asked, but there is more to it.

If he did say, 10 runs of his 100g of 8% he will end up with a lot more than 10 X "15 g of good stuff about 130P", at least if he runs his simple pot stills like I do, and most in Scotland do.

On the next spirit run I put the "1.8 gallons" of heads, and the tails back into the next spirit run.

The heads only get thrown out after about 10 runs, the tails normally never get thrown out.

Do you throw out the heads and tails after each run?

I collect my heads and use them as lighter fluid, but I shut down the still a 40%. To be more efficient do you guys reccommend that I continue to collect to 20%abv and toss that into the next run?Mash

Thanks guys.

Just a quick question Mash, is your still an alembic, ie pot with no plates.

I don't know much about stills with plates but I imagine you could throw out the fores and feints without much wastage of good ethanol.

I have to attend to the still now, I shall return

It's a four plate still, with a dephleg. I get 70 to 80% when I run it normally, but at the end of the run the ABV goes down below 40%, and I normally call it quits. Maybe I should run 10 more minutes and catch all the tails and toss it into the next run.

As I mentioned, I don't know much about stills with plates so I hope I can learn something here.

If I am wrong please tell me----

The foreshots from an alembic (no plates) contain quite a lot of good ethanol + nasties. Some of this good ethanol can be recovered if it is put back into the next run.

I assume a still with plates has much less good ethanol in the foreshots so it may not be worth returning to the next run. Is that correct?

At the end of the run when Mash "calls it quits" after 40% there is still 40% ethanol in the tails he is tossing out. I assume again that the 40% is going to drop off very quickly with a plate still when compared with an alembic, so maybe there is not much volume being tossed.

For the next still run your charge is about 8% abv , the tails will be way above that so why wouldn't you add them? Maybe some do.

The tails will have a lot of unwanted flavours but most of that will end up in the next stillage.

Please educate me.

If I threw out all the foreshots and tails from my simple pot still (alembic) I would be losing more than 30% of my ethanol

If you are completing fermentation at 10% alcohol, then that's how much absolute alcohol you'll be putting into your still. So if you have a 100 gallon still, you will be charging it with 90 gallons of water and 10 gallons of alcohol. You're making whiskey, of course, not vodka, so you'll be keeping some of that water. How much is up to you and what you want to make.