Electrical needs for a distillery with a 100 gallon/400L

Alright, so I am liking a property I found more and more and I am enlisting a lawyer to determine if I can operate a distillery in the location. It has an outbuilding which can house the small 100 gallon still distillery I am looking to build. My question to those of you who are about this size, or maybe started around this size, is what was your power need? The current building has a 100 amp circuit box in it with room to spare or expand. Will this be enough if my plan is to make <1500 gallons a year? I plan on running a steam boiler/jacketed still. I appreciate your recommendations and experience.

Rick

You need to make a list of all of your equipment and the power requirements to determine the answer to that question. Will you be running an electric boiler or will it run on natural gas? Huge difference in electrical load.

With all that said, 100 amps is pretty small for any kind of facility.

That really depends on what you plan on heating your steam boiler with. Your steam boiler will need to service your still and grain mashing equipment. If you can spec the size of equip you plan on using to produce the 1500 gallons per year then you will have a much better idea of your electrical load.

If you price out LPG vs electricity and find the cost per btu/kwh is compareable, then LPG will likely be cheaper due to lower installation cost. If electricity is cheaper then you need to calculate the recovery cost over time of installing increased electrical capacity to service your still and mash tun heat source.

Like I said before, if you know the size of equipment you plan on using to produce the 1500 proof gallons a year then you will have a much better idea of the heat source BTU capabilities that you need. (BTU and kWh are interchangeable with the right calculator)