air compressor question

jeffw

Is it acceptable to run an air diaphragm pump off of an air compressor that uses oil or do you need to go oil free? I know there are filters available and they don't look too expensive, but does this work well or do people recommend getting an oil free (and maybe still filter I would think)? My plan would have been to go oil free, but the last tenant of the space left an air compressor behind that is oil lubricated so now I have my question. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Jeff

Interesting to know on the noise. Sounds like I should throw a filter on it and give it a try. That said, it is in a separate room, so noise isn't a huge issue, but a free compressor sounds good if it will work. I was obviously just concerned about have oil in my final spirit since the pump would be used for high proof spirit. Any other downsides to an oil free compressor beyond the noise?

The very slightly oily air is separated from your liquid being pumped, by a diaphragm, so no oil should get into your spirit.

Durability is the other issue for oil free pumps. I think you can figure that out in just how they are named and what oil typically does for moving parts.

Now there are some great oil-less compressors out there, and some shotty oiled ones too. I'd pick one that is sold by a local distributor or at the very least one that can be serviced by a local group. It would stink to have your compressor go down with such a big responsibility in your distillery.

Here's my thought. I wouldn't run it with oil in a compressor for a few different reasons. So air that goes into a diaphragm pump does not come in contact directly with what it's pumping BUT the air coming out of the pump will aspirate anything that's in the air line. For example we have lots of water in our air at my distillery so when the diaphragm pump is running, water is spitting all over the place, not good we are working on getting a better water separator. This bad because if we don't cover the exhaust on the pump that aspirated (dirty) water will get in the containers we are pumping from. If you compressor line has oil in it that will turn to a fine mist and possibly get in the air and probably your open top containers.

Also most diaphragm pumps have to lubricated a few times a year with special lubricant from the air side so the oil in your compressor might harm the pump, not sure, but it's possible.

Since the tenant left it, is it yours to do with what you like? If so sell it on Craigslist and get a modern oil free compressor.