BTU burner sizing for a 600 L direct fire Hoga?

Donutboy

I'll second Lenny's suggestion for Ward. The burner you're looking for is an impinged flame jet burner, he doesn't have them listed on his site but does sell them and he'll set it up with an electronic controller and pilot and main solenoids. I had no problem with the city approving this burner on our still. We use a 440K burner to heat a 250 gallon pot, it takes about 2-2.5 hrs to come to temp for a full charge.

Do you have any sort of insulation or wall around your burner Ned? I took a look at your website...very nice...and saw a picture of a burner under a still but there didn't seem to be anything other than the burner sitting around the still. Is that the burner you got from Ward?

Thanks for the site kudos. The burner in the picture is the one we got from Ward, that little guy is 440K BTU. We didn't have anything surrounding the burner in the picture early on while we were shaking out the system; we've got 1 layer of brick loosely stacked around it now which cut nat gas usage by about 30%. The risk is that you really have to make sure you get enough air into the burner so it doesn't carb up, this includes exhausting enough to allow adequate air exchange.

I just want to give Mark Ward a plug here. I have been working with Glass, building furnaces and other gas fired machines as well as ceramic for over 20 years. Mark is the Industry go to guy for this type of thing and I couldn't recommend anyone better than him. If you have a need, he will find a solution.