Hello from Sartoga Springs, NY...

Hi Everyone,

Larry DeVivo here, I just joined this wonderful forum after lurking for a few months. Seems like a great resource.

I am meeting with the local reps from SCORE today to start our (my wife and I) business plan to open a small craft distillery in downtown Saratoga Springs, NY... Piping Rock Distillery. I am very much looking forward to this meeting. I already have a ton of questions for the forum and I'm sure I'll have more after this meeting.

I'm a total newbie at this (distilling, not being a small business owner) after spending the last 37 years working in the audio industry but I have a passion for this "craft industry" that is on par with my passion for audio. Unfortunately the audio industry is pretty dead and I don't see being able to stay a part of that profession for too much longer (at least not as a means to make a living... plus I have the "burn out" factor going on after 37 years). I consider distilling an art form. Gin is what floats my boat personally and I look forward to experimenting with new "recipes".

I very much look forward to getting to know and working with other professionals in the industry.

best regards,

Larry

Congrats Larry on your new direction!

Regarding SCORE, don't be discouraged if they don't provide specific answers to your questions. From my experience working with 2 of their volunteers back when we were polishing up our business plan, they took more a "guidance" approach than an "advisory" approach. But you might have some super stars there, and the experience could be much different.

Btw, my wife and I both graduated from RPI and we're big fans of Saratoga :)

Best of Luck,

-Scott

Hi neighbor.

I saw your post and I wanted to send you a note to let you know that my wife and I are basically doing the same thing you are, but in Lake George. I think we are a little farther along than you and if you would like a sounding board or if you come up against something that we might be able to help with please contact us. We have been through the ringer with the SBA, local planning boards, county planning boards, our own bank, environmental reviews and who knows what else is coming around the corner.

I believe that the more people we have in this industry in close proximity, will be good for all of us. With Albany Distilling Company opening and Harvest Spirits close by, instead of being the bourbon trail we can be the Northway trail from NYC to Lake Placid. Ha. Ha.

I hope to hear from you. Good Luck.

John

hi Larry, I recognize your name from some of the audio forums.

Hey Jed,

Yeah, I've been involved in the audio business for 37 years... I also write for Tape-Op magazine and have done a lot of beta testing for most of the manufactures out there. So my name has gotten around a bit in them there circles.

Too bad it's no longer a "healthy" industry.

This industry seems very exciting to me... time for my 2nd act in life now.

Hi neighbor.

I saw your post and I wanted to send you a note to let you know that my wife and I are basically doing the same thing you are, but in Lake George. I think we are a little farther along than you and if you would like a sounding board or if you come up against something that we might be able to help with please contact us. We have been through the ringer with the SBA, local planning boards, county planning boards, our own bank, environmental reviews and who knows what else is coming around the corner.

I believe that the more people we have in this industry in close proximity, will be good for all of us. With Albany Distilling Company opening and Harvest Spirits close by, instead of being the bourbon trail we can be the Northway trail from NYC to Lake Placid. Ha. Ha.

I hope to hear from you. Good Luck.

John

Hi John,

Sorry for the late response I was in NYC on business all day yesterday.

Small world. I will be meeting with the guys from Albany Distilling in a couple weeks. I went down to their grand opening last month and it was fantastic. The city of Albany and state of NY really seem to be behind this micro industry, that was great to see.

Would love to get together at some point. Sometime in the next few weeks / months we should try to get together and do lunch or something.

The meeting with SCORE went great, they really, really like the idea. So does the city of Saratoga Springs. I've dealt with the code enforcer and the fire marshal on some locations we are looking at and both just flipped out at the idea of a craft distillery in downtown Saratoga. I know the mayor will love the idea as well as he used to be out paper boy when growing up. In fact Scott is one of the partners in a local restaurant and bar (Siro's, over by the track). The code enforcer was a childhood friend and I know about half the guys at the FD personally. Small world... and quite handy when trying to set up a business such as this (as I'm sure you know).

We have financing lined up and I've been dealing with both Kothe and Carl regarding the still(s) we are going to purchase. I want an experimental still as well as a 600L. Who are looking at still wise?

I have a hell of a lot to learn over the next two years as we attempting to get this business up and running but I am very much looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jed,

Yeah, I've been involved in the audio business for 37 years... I also write for Tape-Op magazine and have done a lot of beta testing for most of the manufactures out there. So my name has gotten around a bit in them there circles.

Too bad it's no longer a "healthy" industry.

This industry seems very exciting to me... time for my 2nd act in life now.

My son went to college for sound recording- by the time he left, there wasn;t a job to be had!

He's now an electrician- a twisted road for a Jazz musician.

Hi Guys: Yet another player on the block. We are planning a "Farm Distillery" on our 200 acre farm in West Fort Ann, New York. Actually pretty close to Lake George also. Just off of Ridge Road (9L). Just getting started but hope to have everything in place soon. Beginning to renovate the Big Barn where both distillery and tasting room will be located. Just wanted to introduce ourselves. Our name is "Big Barn Distillery, Adirondack Spirits". Hope to hear from you all.

Dave Bannon