Hydrometers, where to buy?

PeteB

I have broken several expensive hydrometers and hope someone can tell me where to buy a set of cheaper hydrometers for everyday use. They don't need to be certified.

I will keep the good ones locked away and only use for calculating taxes.

I have had a bit of a hunt on line but I am sure there must be some good deals out there that I haven't found.

They need to read to about 0.2 abv or 0.4 proof.

Calibration temperature doesn't matter as long as it is indicated

Thanks

Thanks Swede, but I contacted them and they only have hobby hydrometers. Good price but not nearly accurate enough.

So has anyone else got any good suppliers?

Thanks Swede, but I contacted them and they only have hobby hydrometers. Good price but not nearly accurate enough.

So has anyone else got any good suppliers?

Cole Parmer carries the H-B instrument NIST/IRS traceable approved hydrometers for less than $30 each. These meet the TTB requirements if calibrated, but a single point calibration test data is $130. Or you should recalibrate if you can, I found they are not as well calibrated as stated ;-). Follow the manual. If you don't need the NIST calibration, they are a bargain.

http://www.coleparme...drometers/60246

Thanks for the lead Bluestar.

When I pull up the link the prices are in Aussie dollars and their currency conversion is a rip off. Currently the AU$ is worth a few cents more than US$ but these guys appear to have it worth almost 50% less.

I might get someone to buy them in US for me then post to Aus.

I will send Coleparmer a query before I commit

H-B Instrument Alcohol Proof Ethyl Alcohol Hydrometer 75-95%

$55.69 AUD/EACH

The StillDragon Hydro/Alcoholmeters are $22 for a 5 pak here in the US.

Freight is likely $12.50 for priority.

Check against your good proofer to conclude further.

Thanks Smaug, but they are the same ones Swede suggested, not nearly accurate enough, or more importantly, not sensitive enough.

They only indicate to 1 whole degree of proof.

• 10 months later...

For assistance with tails cuts I use a handheld refractometer . They are not as accurate as good hydrometers but a lot cheaper, quicker and easier to use, and a lot less breakable.

In my opinion the ABV is only an indication of where you are, the most important instrument is the nose.

Temperature compensating ones are around $30-$40 on line. Dual scale ABV and Brix are handy. Brix scale for testing mash sugar and progress of fermentation.

• 4 weeks later...

Cole Parmer carries the H-B instrument NIST/IRS traceable approved hydrometers for less than $30 each. These meet the TTB requirements if calibrated, but a single point calibration test data is $130. Or you should recalibrate if you can, I found they are not as well calibrated as stated ;-). Follow the manual. If you don't need the NIST calibration, they are a bargain.

http://www.coleparme...drometers/60246

I purchased a set of these but am starting to wonder how accurate they are.

Bluestar, how far out were the calibrations?

The piece of paper that comes with the hydrometers seems to indicate that they are made to very high specs, but on looking up the codes they are referring to the manufacturing facility, not the actual hydrometers in the box.

Also, I ordered a second set of spares because they were so cheap. I am still waiting after 7 weeks for one to be supplied. Just as well it is only a spare.

The ones from Nova Tech are a bit more expensive but can anyone tell me how accurate they are "off the shelf"?

I purchased a set of these but am starting to wonder how accurate they are.

Bluestar, how far out were the calibrations?

The piece of paper that comes with the hydrometers seems to indicate that they are made to very high specs, but on looking up the codes they are referring to the manufacturing facility, not the actual hydrometers in the box.

Also, I ordered a second set of spares because they were so cheap. I am still waiting after 7 weeks for one to be supplied. Just as well it is only a spare.

The ones from Nova Tech are a bit more expensive but can anyone tell me how accurate they are "off the shelf"?

I get a couple of these NIST calibrated in the range we must proof for TTB. That meets requirements and provides an internal reference for internal calibration. Then I buy others for working spares and coverage in other ranges during manufacture. The NIST calibrated ones so far have shown no deviation from the factory calibration, within allowable error. I have had one unit fail, the glass at the base was crazed, perhaps when we received it, and therefore it had some seepage and change in calibration. We tried to get this unit replaced as defective from Cole Parmer, but they have been non-responsive.