Start up capital

Rum

I'm curious if the credit crunch is affecting plans for starting new distilleries. I'm sure not everyone wants to answer this, but how did you do your funding? For those getting money from leasing companies or banks - did you have any troubles getting the commitment? How about those who have been to the banks recently?

I suspect that many are like me and either self finance or bring in partners. If that's the case our little industry probably won't be affected as much as the rest of the economy in terms of new startups.

For our distillery project, we are self funding and keeping it simple and debt free. Our day jobs however are at serious risk. I support wall street with telecom and IT services and my wife is a mid rise property developer who has had three construction loans called in the last two weeks. I'm not sure if I'm going to sell what we make or just drink it to drown my sorrows.

For our distillery project, we are self funding and keeping it simple and debt free. Our day jobs however are at serious risk. I support wall street with telecom and IT services and my wife is a mid rise property developer who has had three construction loans called in the last two weeks. I'm not sure if I'm going to sell what we make or just drink it to drown my sorrows.

:D just drink it that will help till it ware's off. thats what i do

I'm basically self-funding as well. My life-time savings, retirement, etc. are all invested, but no loans so far. I'm broke, maxed out on personal credit, but money is starting to come in. Oh, and I'm happy. Banks and private investors keep wanting to throw money at me, but I am waiting until expansion time next year. Of course partnering up with a successful winery made it possible. Otherwise I figure on $100,000-250,000 start-up costs.

A friend who is starting a distillery up north found plenty of investors, and after coming up with a viable business plan with multiple variables got the banks happily lined up as well. I think ease of investment, or lack thereof, depends upon your local economy, more than anything else, and what the small banks in the area feel like supporting.

Banks and private investors keep wanting to throw money at me, but I am waiting until expansion time next year.

Funny. I've seen the same thing. A lot of people would like to be involved in this business. Especially after seeing the equipment. My landlord wanted to exchange rent for a piece of it.