Make Of Still

tl5612

there are plenty of still manufacturers around. and on this forum i see the usual names, Carl, Holstein, Vendome, Kothe. then of course there is Hoga, Artisan Still Design, Hillbilly.

however, i don't think i've seen anyone mention Forsyths or John Dore (i think Philadelphia and 209 use the former) from the UK (Scotland and England respectively).

has anyone considered them? or have any views on them in comparison to the usual suspects?

Forsyth gave me a three month turn around when I asked them for a quote on a still. That may be true only on the smaller stills. I was inquiring on 400L. You should think about what you want to make and what processes you want to run. I want to go traditional and run alembic with no rectification plates which is why I contacted them. Also their prices are a bit lower than Carl or Vendome.

What I got was ----

Unfortunately due to a high interest in our products our order book is full for the foreseeable future and we are not taking any more orders on for 2013. Therefore if you were looking for delivery in the next 14 months we would not be able to address you request.

Call Jesse Lupo at Trident Welding (tridentwelding.com). We're looking at some upgrades and he's probably who we'll use. Jesse is a good, honest guy who knows a lot about not just the fabrication side, but the distilling side as well. He's also probably going to be a better bet price-wise compared to some of the bigger makers.

The way I remember it when I asked Richard Forsyth about it a couple of years ago, is that Diageo has their own still manufacturing company, originally called Abercrombie, now called Diageo Abercrombie & Company, Ltd. I believe he said that all new stills and all still repairs for Diageo-owned distilleries are performed by Abercrombie.

When we ordered our Forsyths stills in early Oct 2011, we were expecting a 6 month lead time. The stills ship from Scotland tomorrow (Tue, Nov 27). So, 14 months is much more accurate. That said, I wouldn't do it any other way. It's been a great pleasure working with the folks of Forsyths. I'm glad we made the decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, I may have an alternative for you. I am in the process of expanding my workshop and tooling up for the build of my first large alembic still. I've been a coppersmith since 1994, focusing on hand forming American Arts and Crafts lighting - www.craftsmancopper.com . My first project is a 700 liter alembic, all copper construction, riveted and brass brazed, direct fire, stainless steel companion flanges and tri-clamps, large copper doubler, and large copper condenser, pressure relief, stainless manway, copper parrot, etc. My pricing is competetive to Hoga or Al Ambique, with the advantage of being American made. Therefore, no language barrier, cheaper shipping, no customs intrusions, extremely customizable to fit your desires, etc. I've yet to advertise anywhere, as I have no pictures yet, but rest assured that I will be making my presence known ASAP. If you are interested in talking, please contact me. I bet I can deliver for you at a good price and in a decent timeframe.

james@craftsmancopper.com

360-486-4962