Dual Jacket Mash Tun

jwymore

Is anyone utilizing a mash tun with a steam jacket for heating and a water or glycol jacket for cooling? I have been told these exist with the heating jacket typically on the bottom and the cooling jacket around the sides. Seems like a good way to operate versus pumping through a heat exchanger for cooling.

Seems like a good way to operate versus pumping through a heat exchanger for cooling.

Really, why? We are starting to think the opposite as we approach purchasing a new mash kettle. You need really good agitation in the kettle if you are going to cool from the walls.

we have just such a system on our larger mash tuns.

Good to hear, getting very close to having a real serious chat with you about a still. Maybe we need to talk mash tun as well!!

Really, why? We are starting to think the opposite as we approach purchasing a new mash kettle. You need really good agitation in the kettle if you are going to cool from the walls.

Thinking more in terms of cost, space and sanitation. Agitation is a must but I don't see where it would be much different than a jacketed still? I would be looking at a mash tun with rotating rakes anyway. Cooling efficiency is certainly a factor to consider though as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Jacketed designs generally require lower coolant temperatures to achieve target produict temperatures simply because you have a limit on the heat transfer area.

External exchanger systems give you more pop, but that extends to your wallet as well.