Hello From Missouri

Hey everyone, my name is Brandon, 26 years old, father of a 2 year old girl & 6 month old boy. I live in Marshall, Mo. with my wife and kids and run a small mom & pop style Hotel, and a small Used Car Dealership.

I've recently got this crazy idea in my head about starting up a small distillery to make Apple Pie Moonshine, Peach Cobbler Moonshine, Pumpkin Spice Moonshine, and Strawberry Shortcake Moonshine. My imagination is running wild, and is growing slower by the day as I see all the red tape involved :blink: ...

I've owned two Restaurants, and of course the other businesses mentioned above so far in my life. So I have a fairly good idea on business management, dealing with local and state government, but this seems like a whole leap forward compared to what I'm used to.

Hopefully I can learn a bit from you guys in here before I jump forward. My wife and I are planning on starting a completely self sustained 40 acre farm and a small distillery in the next 5 years.

My goals are to produce, sell, and deliver completly on my own. Producing 5 days a week, delivering 1 day a week, and capturing new customers (within 70 miles) 1 day a week. I'm not looking to strike it big, just selling about 400-500 gallons a month at my peak.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and if anyone else is here in Missouri and wouldn't mind sharing some info with me I'd love to hear anything you have to offer. ^_^

I've recently got this crazy idea in my head about starting up a small distillery...

Welcome to the club! Yes, it's crazy, but it's also tons of fun.

...to make Apple Pie Moonshine, Peach Cobbler Moonshine, Pumpkin Spice Moonshine, and Strawberry Shortcake Moonshine. My imagination is running wild, and is growing slower by the day as I see all the red tape involved :blink: ...

You're already way ahead of the game if you are taking things slow and thinking things through; I'd say keep it up. I'd like to give you another thing to consider while you're working up your business plan. Are you thinking about competeting on an even playing field with shiners who don't even pay any tax on their product? Could be a difficult battle...

My wife and I are planning on starting a completely self sustained 40 acre farm and a small distillery in the next 5 years.

So-called "plough-to-glass" spirits are pretty cool if you ask me. Ever thought of a whiskey of some sort or another? I wouldn't be surprised if you could get $30-$50 per bottle for unaged and $60-$80 per bottle for aged whiskey if you farmed, mashed, distilled, and aged the whiskey yourself. PeteB on this forum produces plough-to-glass if you'd like to talk to a pro about it. He's a really nice guy too.

Anyway, best of luck in your endeavors!

Nick

Brandon,

Glad to see another Missourian! I like what you are thinking about doing. We are running a farm distillery up in Union and we are growing our own grain and doing everything on our own, also. We'll be using non-Gmo corn and are working on our organic certification for our farm. All our ingredients are grown on our farm and turned into whiskey. We love the support we are getting in missouri and love to support local businesses. We've got a few acres to work with and we're supplying a couple other missouri distilleries with corn next year.

We just got licensed, but should have our first batch out in a couple of weeks. It's fermenting now! Exciting times for us.

PM or call me me if you'd like to talk. (423) 457-9809

Chris Burnette

Chris Burnette

• 1 month later...

Wish I could have found you in stores when I was in Union 2 weeks ago for a funeral. My wife was born in Union. Both of her parents were born in raised in Union as well so maybe I can get them to pick me up a bottle at a local store if there is one you can point me to one, I like to see what people are doing in different areas.