...and yet another from Washington

Quick introduction: Name is Matt and live in SW Washington. Would like to get in to distilling and have found in my research (which I am just starting) that the more I read the more cryptic the rules and regulations get. You people have a wealth of knowledge on here and am grateful to soak it all up. What is the best direction to get started for a newbie: attend a seminar, try to visit a local?

I recommend taking a trip to Portland to visit the existing distillers there, travel further if you're able - Dry Fly in Spokane, Pacific Distillery in Woodinville which will provide a general sense of what you're getting involved with. Also read books (especially Artisan Distilling by Kris Arvid Berglund, Ph.D.), read every thread here on this forum, join the Washington Distillers Guild and read those posts.

Read documents at the websites for The TTB and DISCUS ~ especially the Beverage Alcohol Manual

Also you may want to contact the Washington Agricultural Business Center to find out when and if they plan to produce another round of distilling seminars.

Hope this helps you get started.

By the way ~ Go Cougs!

I recommend taking a trip to Portland to visit the existing distillers there, travel further if you're able - Dry Fly in Spokane, Pacific Distillery in Woodinville which will provide a general sense of what you're getting involved with. Also read books (especially Artisan Distilling by Kris Arvid Berglund, Ph.D.), read every thread here on this forum, join the Washington Distillers Guild and read those posts.

Read documents at the websites for The TTB and DISCUS ~ especially the Beverage Alcohol Manual

Also you may want to contact the Washington Agricultural Business Center to find out when and if they plan to produce another round of distilling seminars.

Hope this helps you get started.

By the way ~ Go Cougs!

Thanks for the links. I have pain stakingly been going through every thread on this website and waiting for my log in on the Washington distllers site. Gla dot see some direct book reccomendations since there seems to be several to choose form and you hate to buy everything.

Thanks for the links. I have pain stakingly been going through every thread on this website and waiting for my log in on the Washington distllers site. Gla dot see some direct book reccomendations since there seems to be several to choose form and you hate to buy everything.

In my experience, while the Washington Distillers Guild site says it will send you a login, it doesn't. You should be able to simply go to the site and login with the username and password you used when you signed up for the account. I waited 3 weeks only to find out I could have logged in right away.

Welcome! From a fellow WA someday-distiller. Read everything you can and ask lots of questions. Going to a seminar is a great start. I went to the NW Ag Business Centers one and heard they were thinking about another next year. Kinda like a CARL commercial but had some good information.

Cheers,

Ryan

• 2 years later...