WATER: Reverse Osmosis/De-Ioniser or both?

tl5612

We use an RO system. 100g/day system from Amazon, piped to a 250g storage tank with a float valve. Fills when we need it, stops when full. All in, maybe $300 of parts and labor, less the storage tank. For that we used a re-purposed poly liquid shipping pallet.

Cheers.

I'm going to assume you then have a UV or other disinfection before using the stored water. If not, how long can you store before using?

I went with a much larger RO system to produce what I need on demand, so I wouldn't need to store then disinfect prior to use. One of the purchases I made that was really unnecessary, but certainly convenient. fyi, my RO system includes a water softener and carbon filtration (chlorine removal) inline before the membrane.

Jedd,

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-5-Stage-Reverse-Osmosis-Drinking/dp/B003LMHMW8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357318184&sr=8-2&keywords=applied+membranes+ro+water+systems

Dave,

You have some interesting points. Our water is municipal supply and most of the disinfection issues are handled prior to our site. Once inside, the RO storage tank is a sealed tank. Are you suggesting that I should investigate it as a source of contaminant.....from local conditions in my facility? I hadn't thought along those lines before. Thanks. I'll have some water from that tank tested and I'll let you know of the results. I honestly hadn't thought of this issue before, thanks a lot.

Cheers.

Your RO system will remove the chlorine that got the water safely to your tap. Then there's nothing to prevent contamination. Your storage tank and its connections are probably not sterile, air tight, or whatever the correct phrase is, to prevent that. I was advised to use a UV system if I was going to use a water storage tank for any length of time. I've installed them before in houses with water catchment tanks, though those were big 10,000 gallon outdoor tanks. The UV system is relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

Your RO system will remove the chlorine that got the water safely to your tap. Then there's nothing to prevent contamination

BTW - RO does not remove all the ions, perhaps 95% for a typical units.

Nothing to prevent contamination - but there should be no way for contaminants to enter in any quantity and no nutrients for them to grow (which is the main problem to avoid). I assume you are using a closed container/tank. Of course if you are getting flour dust into the water then all bets are off - something will be growing in there.

Some possible exceptions - there are fungi that can munch on PE plastics - tho' slowly. There are bacteria that can live on oxidizing iron (but assume you are using plastic or copper piping, and iron in the water is a flavor problem).

Your storage tank and its connections are probably not sterile, air tight, or whatever the correct phrase is, to prevent that.

It would be smart to sanitize them on day 1, then maybe periodically, but it's pretty far down the todo list.

I was advised to use a UV system if I was going to use a water storage tank for any length of time. I've installed them before in houses with water catchment tanks, though those were big 10,000 gallon outdoor tanks. The UV system is relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

Not a bad approach, but unlikely to be a needed. UV kills the 'bugs' without adding ions. That's not the problem for RO water in a sealed tank. OTOH check the UV unit design so that the UV light is contained. UV will greatly shorten working life of plastics.