Do I need a boiler room?

HedgeBird

I am working on getting a 350,000 BTU natural gas fired atmospheric steam boiler installed at my location. The one company I am getting a quote from to do the install in convinced that I will need to build a dedicated and fire rated boiler room.

My research seems to indicate that a boiler that is either under 400,000 BTU or one that operates at under 15psi does not need a dedicated fire proof room. Additionally I have seen comments that indicate even if you go above 400,000 BTU or 15psi you still do not need a dedicated room if there is a fire suppression system. My building is fully spriklered.

The other company that I have received a quote from did not mention needing a boiler room. I also can't recall any other distillery that I have visited having a dedicated boiler room, and many of them have/had significantly larger boilers than what I am looking to install. I am in Pennsylvania. If I do need a boiler room, what authority would it be that requires it? Labor and Industry, state codes, local codes?

If anyone had run into a similar situation or has any insight into this issue I would sure appreciate anything you can share!

Thanks!

Generally speaking, gas-fired stills require a dedicated room. However, this is not always the case, obviously. Koval Distillery in Chicago has their boiler in a dedicated room, as does Las Vegas Distillery. However, I know of a distillery in South Carolina that does not have theirs in a dedicated room. Rather, they run a VERY long length of pipe from the boiler to the still.

I have not found the same requirements for electric steam boilers. I would be interested in hearing from others with different experiences.

Todd

I currently use an oil fired 340K BTU steam boiler that is literally within arm's reach of my stills. Hasn't been a problem to date, and the fire inspector for the county didn't have a problem with the setup either. As stated above, the regs governing what you can and can't do here are going to be 100% dependent on your local code and inspectors.

Best of luck,

-Scott

If you have factory rated occupancy (very small amounts of ALC on premise) you may not need a room. We have high hazard occupancy and are required to have a fire rated room. I believe there may be closed combustion boilers available, we do not have one and in keeping with Coop's philosophy like to keep flame away from vapors.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

It looks like my local jurisdiction uses the 2009 International Building Codes. After speaking with the fire marshal he does not see any reason I would need a boiler room as what I am looking at putting in is under 400,000 BTU and also operates under 15 PSI. He cautioned that he sees no reason I would need it as an incidental use, but that I should check with my commercial code officer as well. Not sure what makes a boiler an incidental use or not? I am meeting with the commercial code enforcement officer tomorrow and will find out what he thinks.

Is anyone familiar enough with the 2009 IBC to opine if they think I should have a boiler room assuming I am classified as F1?