Type of Still???

AKBIGK

We are interested in distilling a vodka from potato or grain, or a combination. We want to be efficent and produce 1000+ gallons a month. Pot stills are hands on, with more flavor etc.? Reflux stills would be more efficient? Column stills would produce continually? Does anyone have any information on what would work for our product? What kind of water is needed? Yeasts? We have many questions!

According to legal definition, vodka is a type of neutral spirits, which are: "Spirits distilled from any material at or above 95% alcohol by volume (190 proof), and if bottled, bottled at not less than 40% alcohol by volume (80 proof)."

In order to be vodka, it must be "neutral spirits distilled or treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials so as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste or color."

You can't do that with any level of efficiency in a pot still.

There are endless debates as to whether this definition is appropriate, but that's irrelevant.

We are interested in distilling a vodka from potato or grain, or a combination. We want to be efficient and produce 1000+ gallons a month. Pot stills are hands on, with more flavor etc.? Reflux stills would be more efficient? Column stills would produce continually? Does anyone have any information on what would work for our product? What kind of water is needed? Yeasts? We have many questions!

Mr Stone is correct. You should build a column reflux still for your project, or I can construct one for you. I will have some extra engineering and consulting time this winter to offer some help in this regard.

I have a related question. As our primary product would be infused liqueurs, we only require the production of high proof neutral grain spirit. Assuming we want to produce 1000+ gallons of NGS a month, at 190 proof, is a column reflux still our best option when considering cost/efficiency. Furthermore, what kind of cost (approximate) would we be looking at for this type of still?

If your primary product is going to be liqueurs, why bother to get a still at all? Just use NGS, at around $300.00 a 50 gallon drum, delivered, you'll save a bundle.

Only get a still if you plan on distilling your primary products, unless you have tons of cash to play with. A hybrid still to produce neutral spirits is going to cost you $75k-$125k, depending upon what you get and whether it's bare bones or not.

I have a related question. As our primary product would be infused liqueurs, we only require the production of high proof neutral grain spirit. Assuming we want to produce 1000+ gallons of NGS a month, at 190 proof, is a column reflux still our best option when considering cost/efficiency. Furthermore, what kind of cost (approximate) would we be looking at for this type of still?

If your primary product is going to be liqueurs, why bother to get astill at all? Just use GNS, at around $300.00 a 50 gallon drum, delivered, you'll save a bundle.

Only get a still if you plan on distilling your primary products, unless you have tons of cash to play with. A hybred still to produce neutral spirits is going to cost you $75k-$125k, depending upon what you get and whether it's bare bones or not.

You have a point there. The idea was to have the still to expand to other products in the future, but I suppose it would be just as effective to start with purchased GNS, and purchase a still when the time comes to expand.

Thanks for the suggestion, im going to check the distilling directory for suppliers.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Liberty Bar - Seattle
Only get a still if you plan on distilling your primary products, unless you have tons of cash to play with. A hybred still to produce neutral spirits is going to cost you $75k-$125k, depending upon what you get and whether it's bare bones or not.

Hey there, Jonathan.

I was looking into a similar issue myself recently, and I was able to find a number of domestic stills that this fellow would be able to purchase. Some were of a reasonable size for around $15K to $50K. There are a number of 'small' still fabricators around the country that will make a simple, stainless reflux or column still that would suit his needs for way under those amounts that you spoke of. In fact, I would bet that by now a number of people have privately messaged him with such offers (which is what happened to me).

Andrew- (and everyone else) would you post the info of all still manufacturers that you know of, and those who contacted you, what type of equipment, and your thoughts on their products? There is a thread in this beginner section titled "Still Companies" that would be appropriate for this info. http://adiforums.com/index.php?showtopic=325

Jonathan

Hey there, Jonathan.

I was looking into a similar issue myself recently, and I was able to find a number of domestic stills that this fellow would be able to purchase. Some were of a reasonable size for around $15K to $50K. There are a number of 'small' still fabricators around the country that will make a simple, stainless reflux or column still that would suit his needs for way under those amounts that you spoke of. In fact, I would bet that by now a number of people have privately messaged him with such offers (which is what happened to me).