Suggestions for ferm tank suppliers?

Rum

I'll leave it to Marks Design and Metalworks quote you a price. I received quotes from AAA Metal Fabrication, JVNW, and Spokane Industries, (I try to order locally, whenever possible), and found them most competitive on price and, for my specifications, of higher quality.

Apologies is this is a thread diversion, but do cylindro-conicals (as in the links above) make any sense for those fermenting on grist ? Are sloped bottom fermenter, as used for wine a better choice for fermentation on grist ?

Great point you make, Steva,

My thoughts is that you'd want dish-bottomed fermenters if fermenting on grain, both for efficiency, and cost savings. The cone is used when you wish to crash cool a fermenter and drop the yeast, so you have a clear(ish) wash. I would think the compacted cake at the bottom of a cylindro-conicl fermenter would make removal of the solids damn near impossible.

• 4 months later...

3000L = about 800 gallons. I'm Paul Caldwell, Confederate Stills of Alabama, CSA: I'm building cypress fermentation tanks here in Alabama. Now have them from coast to coast. Largest built so far is 600 gallons for 3 Howls distillery in Seattle, Washington. You can see it on their FB page. I have hybrid tanks available above 600 gallons, SS Dished bottms, 3" drains, with cypress sides. Can add copper cooling coils to the inside walls to help keep mash temp down during the summer. Paul-CSA

post-5789-0-85108300-1370550784_thumb.jp