Yields and Starch Content of Barley/Wheat?

AKBIGK

As up and coming distillers, we have some questions regarding Yields and Starch Content. We are trying to produce a cost effective quality vodka, and have found inexpensive potatoes thus far. We know it takes about 9.5lbs of potato to make a 750ml bottle of vodka. Does anyone know what yields come from barley or wheat. They are all grown locally in the Matanuska Valley, Alaska. Thanks for the help!

Probably one of your best bets for information such as this would be your local breweries or home brewing clubs. Home brewing in general is a great way to get a lot of these fundamental principles down while you're getting the rest of the business geared up.

• 1 year later...

As up and coming distillers, we have some questions regarding Yields and Starch Content. We are trying to produce a cost effective quality vodka, and have found inexpensive potatoes thus far. We know it takes about 9.5lbs of potato to make a 750ml bottle of vodka. Does anyone know what yields come from barley or wheat. They are all grown locally in the Matanuska Valley, Alaska. Thanks for the help!

are you sure that this ratio is right? 9.5 lb per bottle?

i have just seen a cold river video in youtube in which says it takes 15 lb.

Hay all,

Just our two cents here...but if Chris Dow says 15lbs per 750Ml...I would take that as gospel. I have been at there place a couple of times and spent a few hours talking to Chris. They have their stuff together and are very honest and forthcoming. And their Blueberry Vodka is off the chart. That said...I am not a Vodka fan, but the blueberry is exceptional!

Jesse

Different types of potatoes, different ways of cooking/steaming, etc. Different enzymes, yeast, fermentation processes, different types of stills, etc. will produce different yields. So having Chris at Cold River say 15lbs, and someone else say 9.5lbs, can both be correct.

Hay all,

Just our two cents here...but if Chris Dow says 15lbs per 750Ml...I would take that as gospel. I have been at there place a couple of times and spent a few hours talking to Chris. They have their stuff together and are very honest and forthcoming. And their Blueberry Vodka is off the chart. That said...I am not a Vodka fan, but the blueberry is exceptional!

Jesse