Licensing Costs in California

MatthewTLea

I am beginning the process of exploring costs of getting the licenses, federal and CA state, and am having trouble getting concrete information about the general costs.

Has anyone set up a craft/artisanal distillery in CA (will be in SoCal) who can give me a rough estimate of fed. and state licensing costs? Just need a ballpark.

Thanks,

Matt

While I have no insight into California licensing costs, one thing to also look at are the plan review fees from various departments that may be necessary in the licensing process. My state required a plan review by the Fire Marshal, my Borough Zoning office, the Department of Environmental Conservation for wastewater, and also the DEC for "food processing." These fees all depend on the size of your planned operation. They were pretty minimal in my case, but still ended up costing me more than my state liquor license did.

Licensing costs for manufacturing are immaterial compared to the other costs associated with starting in California. You can safely budget around $1k for the actual ABC permit in California, and as mentioned the Fed license dose not have a fee.

I do not know about the state stuff in CA, but it should be easy enough to find that info on the CA ABC website. There will probably be some kind of cost with the state fee or license, and you may need to pay something if you're allowed to retail liquor as well. Here in NC, it's a couple hundred bucks a year for the distiller's permit.

They mostly get their share of the $$ through taxes when it comes to production.

• 10 months later...

To all California Distillers and future distillers, please know that the California Artisanal Distillers Guild can be reached at 916.235.4012. We are a volunteer organization made up over most of the state's licensed DSP's and work on behalf of the membership. We appreciate all that ADI does for the industry and try to work on state specific issues. If you ever have questions, we will try to help with a member or not... of course, membership helps us all.

CES