Why not a fruit based spirit?

fat matt

Just interested in opinions on grains vs. fruits? Are more people interested in grains over fruits because of storage time to maturation, cost effectiveness, or availability? Im a bit new to this and not sure which direction to go as of yet. Any input would be appreciated. Cheers.

Fat Matt

Many times it's the 'make it with what's growing local'. It costs to get grain or fruits shipped. And out of season on fruit, you're out of production. So you turn to grain during those times.

Up on the Oregon and Washington coast there's tons of various berries. They make a lot of brandies in the area, and the tourists like local grown/distilled product. Same with the orchard areas on the east coast.

It also goes back to what you know and have the feel for making. Personally, we won't do gins since nobody making it likes gin. So it's hard to get the feel for what's 'perfect'.

Fruit spirits are fantastic. When handling fresh fruit you have several days to mash it. Grain can be stored all year 'round.

Fruit is pretty expensive. We have found that only some consumers are willing to pay the premium you have to get for using fruit.

Clear Creek sure has made a great line of spirits based on fruit however.

I would like to think i can keep down selling cost if i get the fruits (apples in particular) from the fruit trees around colorado springs. Both in home owners yards (with permission) and in the city parks and open spaces. Seems there are a lot of apple lovers around in this area. This is of course all guessing until i can get set up and find out what the facts are with over head cost and storage.

I suppose another problem would then be the storing of the fruit. Seems simple enough to get apples but bulk storage for enough apples to make a few runs is another beast entirerly. Juicing and storage of the juice seems better as far as space consumption but is there anything to gain from just blending the apples into a pulp(removing seeds first) and using the entire apple. I dont want to lose out on any sugars in the apples skin but also dont want to end up with a sour flavor attributed to the skin.

Any input would be appreciated.

I would like to think i can keep down selling cost if i get the fruits (apples in particular) from the fruit trees around colorado springs. Both in home owners yards (with permission) and in the city parks and open spaces...

Any input would be appreciated.

In my opinion, the best way to store fruit is to distill it into low wines. Run your still non-stop during picking/pressing season, then redistill later on in the year. This way, you'll have no worries about spoilage.

Plus, it's way easier to store one volume of low wines than six volumes (or so) of juice.

Nick