Bottle washing recommendations?

Ryan S.

For many years we got away without washing bottles, it only takes one bad experience to change your ways. What I found out is that the people that you buy the bottles determine more or less the route you will take. For the past 15 years we had a fully amotomated bottleling line that we can bottle 2000 bottles an hour. Even today, I have to be aware of those bulk bottles, fancy and pretty that come from Europe and they come wrapped up in plastic wtihout a box. Sometines on top and botton layers dust gets in there, be very carefully with that. REgular wine bottles purchased locally for the most part it was probably made within 3 or 4 weeks from delivery and it rare that you find them dirty.

I don't like washing with water because I don't think you get the exact amount of drying in each bottle and bottling tolerances are so tight. You can rinse with the same product you fill with if you take the time to set that up and filter the return. You will also need to make sure that product proof doesn't change as it's aerated. We own an Anton Paar DMA 5000 and you'd be amazed (or at least I am) how quickly proof changes as it's aerated.

What we do is to purge with compressed air/gas. You can get a sparger at a variety of places, including TCW Equipment, which is where we bought ours.

And Mike, I'm so darn jealous. I'd love to be able to do half that. I'd also like to be able to sell that many often enough to need that capacity.

The beauty of an auto. bottling line after it rinses it, it dryies with co2 and it does it in a matter of seconds. Do not get me wrong for the amount of spirits that we produce and sell it, I could bottle it by hand one bottle at a time. But because of the winery that we go through over 12,000 cases yearly, we had to buy the line, so it takes us half an hour to bottle six months worth of grappa and six months of limoncello etc. Licening in the state of md has improved so coming April we will be able to produce vodka, wiskey etc. But John remember, I am 68 years old I am training my 26 year old grandson, I love the business I am having a great time. All this was not built in a day, cheers

• 3 weeks later...

The beauty of an auto. bottling line after it rinses it, it dryies with co2 and it does it in a matter of seconds. Do not get me wrong for the amount of spirits that we produce and sell it, I could bottle it by hand one bottle at a time. But because of the winery that we go through over 12,000 cases yearly, we had to buy the line, so it takes us half an hour to bottle six months worth of grappa and six months of limoncello etc. Licening in the state of md has improved so coming April we will be able to produce vodka, wiskey etc. But John remember, I am 68 years old I am training my 26 year old grandson, I love the business I am having a great time. All this was not built in a day, cheers

Who did you buy your bottling line from?

• 3 weeks later...

We hand bottle, and rinse with product just before bottling.

What are you using to rinse? We have shrink labels on our bottles and Im concerned about getting liquid behind the label. For various reasons our bottles are coming to us with the labels already on.....

Sorry Ryan I didn't see your question until now. Yes, you can use air or CO2 or nitrogen.

No worries. thanks for the info..... B)

For a hand held device, you can build your own. Compressed air with a super fine particle filter inline.

Would you happen to have any pics of such a device? I can kind of see what your saying but am trying to figure out how/where the particle filter fits in with it......