Scotch and Single Malt

tl5612

Interesting article..

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/55f1f4d2-5986-11e2-88a1-00144feab49a.html#axzz2JwTRqErK

"Of course a lot of whisky history is fake or, at the very least, conveniently assembled. The idea of pure single malts – the “expressions” that distilleries slave over, and that whisky enthusiasts come from all over the world to savour and collect – did not exist until the 1960s. Before then, malt whisky was sold wholesale to be mixed with cheaper “grain” whisky (made out of wheat), and turned into blends. It was Glenfiddich, in a Don Draper-ish moment in 1961, that came up with the idea of distilling all that rain and Highland lore into something unique and expensive."

• 3 weeks later...

+1!

And that also describes the very outspoken characters most of the single malts have (and their poor cuts): it was (and to a big part stil is) a semi-finished product to be added as a taste enhancer to gns or blend.

Edwin.

Of course a lot of whisky history is fake or, at the very least, conveniently assembled.

If I am not mistaken, this is the case with every other type of spirit as well.

The question is: how does one tell people that they've been lied to their entire lives and that everything that they've come to believe is false without making them feel stupid? Not so easy, especially when there are those out there who will continue to lie to them.

When it comes right down to it, they're paying for, drinking, and enjoying, the marketing. Most people think and drink like that. Who are we to tell them otherwise.

Now to retire for the night with my 6x distilled and 12x filtered vodka... or my pure pot still irish whiskey... or perhaps my 60 year old cognac... or my ultra-platinum tequila... so many choices... so expensive... and therefore, so good...

Nick

P.S. Speaking of marketing, check this momma out.

Nick,

So the big question is, who's whiskey is that?

I'd say that it's Breckenridge's whiskey (although, judging from the quality of the shots, and the lack of a bottle number on the label, it may just be iced tea that their marketing firm put in there when they sent them the proofs).

Breckenridge obviously spent a fortune on the design and a fortune on the packaging of that brand. I can only assume that they put an appropriate amount of money into the juice as well. Was it distilled in Breckenridge? Apparently not. Is it worth $1,000? I'm sure that it is to somebody. Is it any good? I pray that those guys bring some to Denver and I am fortunate enough to find out. Is it "their" whiskey? I'd say absolutely.

As much as lowly distillers such as ourselves take pride in what we do, I'd say that it only amounts to about 10% of the average consumer's buying decision. When it comes right down to it, it's the all-mighty sales and marketing guys that are battling over that remaining 90%.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

If I am not mistaken, this is the case with every other type of spirit as well.

The question is: how does one tell people that they've been lied to their entire lives and that everything that they've come to believe is false without making them feel stupid? Not so easy, especially when there are those out there who will continue to lie to them.

When it comes right down to it, they're paying for, drinking, and enjoying, the marketing. Most people think and drink like that. Who are we to tell them otherwise.

Now to retire for the night with my 6x distilled and 12x filtered vodka... or my pure pot still irish whiskey... or perhaps my 60 year old cognac... or my ultra-platinum tequila... so many choices... so expensive... and therefore, so good...

Nick

P.S. Speaking of marketing, check this mommaout.

wow!!! thats alot of clams for a bottle of young whisky