What size still

JGM

Just wondering what size still everyone started out with. We've recently been working with Vendome on a 100 gallon with an 8" 4 plate column, but were also toying with the idea of starting with a 50 gallon and then keeping it down the road for recipes and small runs. The 50 gallon still is deffinatly less exspensive, along with all the other tanks and equipment, but we don't want to outgrow it to early.

Mike

Yes that is kind of what I was saying in the original post. What size did you start out with? The initial investment is always a big deal in the beginning. We are just at that point to where we don't want to go to small and not be able to keep up with demand, or to big and price ourselves out with to large of a capitol investment.

If you have a solid plan to do mostly, if not all, retail sales, a 30-50 gal could get you going. However, if you plan to do any real amount of distribution, I'd start at 100-150 gal, depending on your process. If you're in the world (budget) of much larger than that, you should already know the answer, be able to figure it out, or be working with someone that can answer/figure it out for you.

We started with a 140g potstill (primarily making whiskey). In our first year, 70% or so of our sales have been direct retail though out tasting room. It's been a struggle to keep up with demand. We're about to pull the trigger on a 600g stripping still and the 140g will be relegated to a spirit still. This was the plan all along, but I was surprised to find our original still to be borderline less than adequate from the get go.

There's no perfect answer to your question, but... If it was me, I'd go larger (minimum of 100g) if possible. If cost is a limiting factor, maybe consider another still manufacturer? Vendome's stuff is great, but you could certainly get started with something less great.

we have looked at many manufactures and are still considering a few Vendome being one of them. Vendome is only about 45min from us. They obviously create a tried and true product, but are a little on the upside as far as exspense. To give you an idea we have set aside about 35,000 in our capital budget for the still. Our quotes for the most part have been under that for around a 100 gallon complete unit. Every time and every way we run our numbers for what will be both a retail and a distribution sale we have come straight back to the same answer. A 50 gallon will do it, but a 100gallon will save us if it takes off well. It's always a gamble until you see real world numbers on what the market will bare when your up and running. Thanks for the replies.

Hi JGM,

We just returned from a combination customer service trip/ distilleries tour from Maine - hit NY, OH, MI, WV, NC, RI and MA. We have equipment in several of those distilleries, but saw our fair share of Vendomes along the way. They are beautiful for sure and have a great reputation. While our stills are a bit less flashy (we are from New England after all - practicality is priority) our pricing will fit your budget much more comfortably - and you can get the 100 gallon to start with. As you see from the prior posts, you probably won't be in the 50 gallon for long and will have the added expense of upgrade at that point. Certainly if you are in a position to go turnkey now, we provide everything you will need - fermenters, mash tuns, hot liquor tanks, GAC filters, wort chillers, etc. You should drop a line or give us a call for comparison sake.

Jesse

207-416-9353

Trident Stills

www.tridentwelding.com

Hi JGM,

We just returned from a combination customer service trip/ distilleries tour from Maine - hit NY, OH, MI, WV, NC, RI and MA. We have equipment in several of those distilleries, but saw our fair share of Vendomes along the way. They are beautiful for sure and have a great reputation. While our stills are a bit less flashy (we are from New England after all - practicality is priority) our pricing will fit your budget much more comfortably - and you can get the 100 gallon to start with. As you see from the prior posts, you probably won't be in the 50 gallon for long and will have the added expense of upgrade at that point. Certainly if you are in a position to go turnkey now, we provide everything you will need - fermenters, mash tuns, hot liquor tanks, GAC filters, wort chillers, etc. You should drop a line or give us a call for comparison sake.

Jesse

207-416-9353

Trident Stills

www.tridentwelding.com

What's the biggest still you've made so far? Are they packed or do you use plates?

My cohort build some of the chillers I use near Harrisonburg, VA.

He does his own service as well.

If you come up with a cooling requirement issue, give me a shout.

Mike Gronski

MG Thermal

www.mgthermalconsulting.com