Bulk corn sources and prices

kckadi

Hi everybody,

I'm putting together a biz plan for a micro in New England. I think I've got a handle on the hardware costs but am having a hard time estimating grain cost. Like most others I will be making an immediate sale product such as vodka (or similar) using corn and would eventually love to try a whiskey/bourbon.

For pricing and purchasing where do I find bulk dried corn for my mash? I'll most likely mill it myself so it can be bulk whole kernel corn. Also, would I see an end product difference between sweet corn or feed corn? Does sweet corn actually have a higher sugar content or does it just contain more water in a fresh kernel? I also want to source locally whenever possible. Thanks for any feedback.

Kevin

What you are calling sweet corn has never to my knowledge ever been used in commercial distilling. Feed corn that you would normally get from say a feed store or just bin run from a local farmer would be the same corn used by every distiller that uses corn to make whiskey. You want clean, dry, corn with a good test weight.

Go your local feed store, they sell in bulk or by the sack. I contract with local farms for Virginia grown grains. Costs more, but the bulk stretches it until the

next growing season.

Starting up does have it's challenges.

Thanks everyone. I stopped by a local feed store and spoke with the manager. Prices run around $13/50lb for whole kernel and $24/50lb organic. None of it is local so I'm going to see if I can find some local farms that have bulk corn. If not I'll go with the feed store and grind it myself to the needed grind size. New Hampshire has no wheat farms so corn is what I need to use if I want to retain some type of 'local' flavor. Thanks again. Hoping to be running by end of summer.

• 1 month later...

We can help you out with corn, wheat,rye or barley if you have trouble getting it locally. We have a 300,000 bushel elevator and grow some of our own grain. Upstate NY is probably as close a you will get for most grain

email lakedistilling@gmail.com

• 3 months later...

Go to your local co-op or feed store$7-8 per bushel. $13-14 by the 50lb bag.

Sometimes you'll find corn in bags at big feed or dog or horse feed stores because people feed the squirrels.

I think you should buy in bulk first, then by the bag.

Take care!

Joseph

Master Distiller

• 1 month later...

If you have a forklift, they sell bags with forklift hooks and can put it above your mill, also, they have buckhorn totes, same idea, a slide gate is there for you to open as needed and stack/store. Keeps the damn rats out, but spray pyganic or some kind of safe insecticide around the floor surrounding your grain tto keep out critters.