Gasket material

Jimmidaboot

Silicone might be the only material for that application. Natural rubber is degraded by heat and the corrosive nature of alcohol vapour. Just lay down a bead of Permatex ULTRA COPPER, allow it to set up a bit, then join the two surfaces.

Great work, and I applaud your skill at coppersmithing!

I was wondering about EPDM material? Do you or anyone else on here know anything about it? The silicone would certainly be convenient, but I will need something to take up some space, as the mating surfaces are not flush and smooth. Thank you for the kind words on smithing! You're too kind.

Suggest you check out the following link

http://adiforums.com/index.php?showtopic=2522&hl=neoprene&st=0

There was some discussion about gasket material.

I built my own still and had the same problem with uneven flanges

I use "O" section closed cell neoprene. Depending on diameter it will seal some very uneven flanges

Pete

Hey Jimmy... Im sure there is someone in your area that cuts gaskets... The guys I use here in Albuquerque can make any shape gasket out of any material ... I have them make flange gaskets from silicone and EPDM that are 1/4 to 1/2" thick.... They are GPS supply in Albuquerque

http://gpssupplyco.com ....

EPDM is generally considered the material of choice, it is highly resistant to alcohol. HOWEVER, I suspect that it is less suitable for high-proof, high-temperature application than people realize. We have it located in part of our column. Over time, we have noted that the EPDM has loss flexibility. This could be due to a further vulcanization (it is a form of rubber). Which concerns us, because if any chemistry is going on, there is also a possibility of leaching. The dienes in EPDM crosslink in the presence of sulphur during normal vulcanization. We have thought to replace some of the gaskets with high-temperature silicone gaskets. Note that the ethanol resistivity of silicone rubbers varies depending on the type. Donutboy, if your EPDM guru wants to pipe in, that would be great. I don't think there is any problem using it in lower temperature or lower proof applications, but I am a little suspect about in the column or stillhead.