Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and the craft. I'm looking to break into the industry in the Huntsville, Alabama area. Hoping to start up a craft distillery in the next couple of years focusing on whiskey with some possible brandy added on in future phases. I'm currently planning to attend the MB Roland distillery school in Nov. and possibly the Moonshine University in Kentucky next year. I've also done a lot of research on the local, ABC and TTB requirements and will be working towards meeting the pre-reqs in the coming months. If anyone's close or has valuable insight I'm open to any discussions/networking opportunities so feel free to ping me at your liesure.

WhiskeyBravo,

Make sure you get squared away with the ABC people in Alabama first. I was working on one while my wife was in a teaching position at USA in Mobile. While they don't actively prohibit a distillery they exert exceptional control on what is done and sold in Alabama. You probably know about this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conecuh_Ridge_Whiskey, and his stuff is made in Kentucky as he had trouble getting the license as well. I wish you well my friend and I hope you find a favorable mood has developed towards your endeavor.

Rick

Rickdiculous, I appreciate the link. I'm tracking all of the hurdles with the ABC folks. Also saw in their regulations that before the ABC paperwork can be submitted, you have to have an approval from the local "government" entities. I know some of the right people in the right places to get a logical dialogue going; however, based on the hurdles the home brewing (beer) bill in Alabama has had, it might be more complicated than just saying it. Hopefully I can get everyone to think common sencically from the beginning. From there, the real work can begin. Thanks again for the advice and insight.

Thanks, Pressure9pa!