When would you get a zero alcohol read in your mash tank but still be producing a

Ryan S.

Are you checking with a proof hydro or a beer hydro?

You can't get a mash temp that far off.

Im using a 250 gallon tote. Our temp is set within the range of what the yeast were using works best in. Been using a proof hydro but after I posted this I ran and grabbed a beer hydro? Had to take care of some stuff but im going back in just a bit to check it with that? Think that's my issue?

What method are you using to determine that your mash is at zero ABV?

Im pulling from both the top of the tote and the bottom....

At the risk of being too straightforward, it sounds like you need some basic education on fermentation test equipment.

No hydrometer normally found in a brewery or distillery will show a direct readout of alchohol in a mash. They do make instruments for that, but there's no need. The beer/wine hydro is made to show POTENTIAL alcohol, not a direct readout of final alcohol in a mash. And a proof hydro doesn't have a scale low enough to read 5-10% accurately.

When you make a mash, measure it with a beer hydro to get the potential alchohol, which is only accurate if you get a complete fermentation of the sugars. Ferment it out, take another reading at the end. The difference between the two readings is the alchohol in the mash. Temp correct if you want, won't make that much difference in the overall scheme of things if the beginning and the final are taken at same temp.

As a rule of thumb, 1lb of fermentables in 1gal of water yields approx. 5% alch. I know it's not exact, but for second checking a recipe in your head it works well.

Beer/Wine making 101.

At the risk of being too straightforward, it sounds like you need some basic education on fermentation test equipment.

No hydrometer normally found in a brewery or distillery will show a direct readout of alchohol in a mash. They do make instruments for that, but there's no need. The beer/wine hydro is made to show POTENTIAL alcohol, not a direct readout of final alcohol in a mash. And a proof hydro doesn't have a scale low enough to read 5-10% accurately.

When you make a mash, measure it with a beer hydro to get the potential alchohol, which is only accurate if you get a complete fermentation of the sugars. Ferment it out, take another reading at the end. The difference between the two readings is the alchohol in the mash. Temp correct if you want, won't make that much difference in the overall scheme of things if the beginning and the final are taken at same temp.

As a rule of thumb, 1lb of fermentables in 1gal of water yields approx. 5% alch. I know it's not exact, but for second checking a recipe in your head it works well.

Beer/Wine making 101.

Good stuff Porter, thank ya! And no worries on being straightforward, I prefer it that way, learn quicker.

Good stuff Porter, thank ya! And no worries on being straightforward, I prefer it that way, learn quicker.

Thanks for understanding. Didn't want it to come off too rough. We all have to learn, and there's those on here who've forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Just keep asking.

Ryan, I suggest you have a read of some home brew web sites. In particular look for "potential alcohol" as Porter has suggested.

Hydrometers and refractometers are only good for measuring water mixed with ONE other compound, so a hydrometer is quite accurate for distilled spirits.

When trying to measure wash or beer they don't work at all well because there are all sorts of other chemicals including unfermented sugars as well as the alcohol.