Digital controls?

Cavallo

In evaluating equipment suppliers, I see that Bavarian offers centralized digital control. In my head, this sounds great. It conjures up visions of remote monitoring and adjustment, automation, reduction in labor, etc…. But this is in my head. Does anyone have any practical experience with their system? How does it work out in practice?

you're in NY, if you can take a run up to Roscoe and see prohibition distilleries.

that have 2 different types of controls, one is the Package on the little still from Swede at http://www.distillerycontrols.com/

and the other controls the 2 big stills and mash tun, and that's a full computerized package from Sherman at http://www.artisanresources.com/

From what I have seen of Bavarian's digital system it is quite basic, you may find either of these other 2 controls packages more usable.

I would not consider these controls as a "labor" saving devise as you cannot just set it and walk away. You will need someone standing there thorough the entire process because things happen and you need someone there as it does. Murpheys Law. Coop

When I build control sytem, I usually try to integrate the mashing system with sequenced heating.cooling and rest steps that can stored and retrieved. I also automate the fermenter controls. The still controls are labor saving in the fact that you can have remote monitoring which leaves you free to go work in the office. There are also alarms on evey function being monitored that sound like a french fryer alarm. There is also trending, logging, and I can even automate the monitoring of cuts if you have a stable system by monitoring ABV right off the still real time to 5 decimal places. The still setup can be stored and retrieved if you have lots of valves. The CIP pumps, the steam flows and the agitators can be controlled from the same control system which eliminates running all over the place controlling you system. I always use soft starts to eliminate the huge current draws for starting motors and pumps.

I can integrate the alcohol vapor safety system to turn on ventilators.

These are very labor saving, allowing a single person to operate even a moderately large system solo.

Here is a automated stripping still I automated at Iowa State University.

Sherman, you've got some fantastic automation systems there. Great work!!

RE: checking out prohibition distillery in NY as Steve suggested, they should have a panel of mine there in the next few weeks. It's much simpler than Sherman's design and it's designed to run a small 60 gallon electrically heated still only.

Coop is right on, re the gotta-watch-the-process-closely, regardless of automation. Gotta watch that process like a hawk, or you're gonna regret it.

We have and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Swede's automation. it's our speed; simple, easy, repeatable, pretty bomb-proof.

The remote system is cooler than hell, and I wish I could run one, but it's expert/master-level stuff for a different operation than we run.

I guess I'd compare the two tech types to a car that will automatically parallel park itself versus one with 'just' a backup camera. If you parallel park all the time, they're both an improvement over the traditional way to do things, but they're different.

I appreciate the positive review Blackheart. I'm always striving to improve designs and am very pleased to hear about your success with the control system. If I'm ever in SC I'll definitely be stopping in to taste some of your products.

Cheers.